Chapter 19: Dover's Cry

My gorgeous Murph,
Happy Valentines Day, even though it's March. It's crazy to think that it's been over a year since I won my first Ashes series. I miss that feeling, I proved myself to the country I love, through the game I love, knowing I was in love. Work that one out. People are still saying that my hundred was brilliant and they hadn't seen anything quite like it for a very long time. I can't believe that it was me. That summer was truly life changing, I don't think I will ever forget it.
Last week Johnno and I were out laying detonator cord around this small open area in a very dense part of the jungle. I'm telling you, we were on slow cook out there. Bloody hell it was hot. We could just see straight when we were finished and when night fell the rain did too. Vietnamese weather needs to get its shit together that's for sure. I mailed Sir Don, probably going to be living with the nerves for a little while, or until I get a reply.
Anyway, I hope you're well my love, it's been too long. I love you Brooklyn Murphy, with the entirety of my being, I love you. (Entirety is a word right).
Best wishes, your uneducated, very tired and very in love,
Pat xx
P.S: Happy Birthday

March 15th, 1967 was the day I turned 21. The day my life decided to throw in an obstacle, to trip me up and skin both my knees and give me headaches for years to come. I remember distinctively, waking up that morning happy, which was unusual, we valued those mornings. You're meant wake up happy on your birthday, even though I knew we'd had about 450 men come in last night, I was excited to tend to them. I made my way over to the recovery ward. All these blokes had just come out of surgery, they loved a laugh and all they wanted to do was talk about Australia. There were usually a lot of tears, a lot of guilt but there was always someone sharing the ward who managed to cheer the guilt stricken person up. I pushed through the door way and was greeted by a very loud "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"
I couldn't help but laugh as they clapped.
'Thank you all very much.' I often felt overly blessed with the love and companionship I received from complete strangers every single day. I walked over to bed 18, it was the bed I started with every shift.
'G'day Sister Murphy.' The soldier smiled, he seemed younger than most.
'Hello Private what's your name?' I asked, making small talk as I read his chart.
'Jack Anderson, I'm in the same battalion as Paddy.' He explained.
'Well Jack, my name's Brooklyn.' I shook his hand.
'I know, he never stops talking about you, when you had malaria he got insanely stressed out, they were threatening to give him a joint he was so worked up.' He said.
I laughed heartily; 'Sounds like my Pat.'
'He's looked after me, I don't reckon I'd be alive if I didn't have him.' Jack stated sincerely.
'That's what I love about him, it doesn't matter how famous he becomes he will always put others before himself.' I smiled, I missed him, I missed his thoughtfulness and his huge heart.
'That's Pat alright, he and Johnno are two of the nicest blokes I've ever met.' Jack said as I redressed the bullet wound on his arm.
'No! Please I'm begging you! Just slip the needle in and I'll be gone!' A familiar voice screamed, his hysterical cries frightening me.
'Poor bugger.' Jack shook his head.
Shocked I said; 'That's my brother, I'm so sorry I've gotta-'
'It's fine Brooklyn please go.' Jack ushered.
'You're already turning into Pat.' I told him quickly before rushing to the newly placed bed.
'Hey Dover, Hey.' I pushed back his damp hair from his forehead, he gripped my hand and with distraught eyes he pleaded.
'Please make it go away, his screams, the gun shots, please, please, bub, make it stop.' Dover cried, his nails digging into my skin.
'Who's cries? What are you talking about?' I asked frantically. Dover stopped, his eyes changed and his face dropped.
'Jarrah got shot, these blokes captured the three of us and I couldn't my mouth shut, they pushed us down on our knees, our hands tied, three guns were pointing straight at our heads, they were gonna do it one at a time, starting with me from what we gathered, Jarrah yelled and jumped in front of the bullet coping it in the neck then he covered Ace and got it in the gut, he told us to run oh god, we stood in the shrubs and watched him kneel in front of those blokes, he threw his untied hands in the air and he got shot in the head, he just fell, he just fell, I went to scream but Ace covered my mouth, I can't un-see that, I got my big brother shot.' Dover could hardly breathe. I felt like I'd had all the wind knocked out of my chest, I slumped onto the bed, my eyes wide and my big brother bawling.
"I love you, don't forget that."
Jarrah's words echoed in my head, I could faintly hear Dover's apologetic cries through the hazy shock that rung in my eyes. I fell onto my brothers chest, his arms wrapping around the top of my torso.
'I gotta say something and I don't want you to take offence.' I closed my eyes.
'What?' Dover asked.
'Out of all of you, Patrick, Ace, Jarrah, you, I always thought I'd lose you, not Jarrah he was the last one I thought I would.' I buried my face into his warm chest. Dover was still hysterical, his heart was racing beneath my ear.
'I gotta say something too.' He said.
'What?' I looked up.
'I thought it would be me too.'