Chapter 13: The Lecture

Dear Murph,
I hope the malaria has settled down. It's really giving me the shits that I can't be there with you. Nothing seems to be settling down around here, the Vietnamese just wont give in. Apart from that 2 interesting things have happened in the past 2 weeks. The first being, I received a letter from Cricket Australia, well it was written by Ian Chappell but you get the idea. Anyway, in short it pretty much told me I'd secured my spot in the Australian team permanently. He said he's never seen someone shine as much as I did in my first test and Ashes series so you know, pretty stoked about that. The second thing, well I met your three brothers. Dover was the one who recognised me, he's a great bloke Murph. We're already good mates. Ace is feeling a lot like me being away from the most important person in your life while they're sick, but he reckons George will be okay. Jarrah I'm still not sure about, he seems very on edge, like I'm stealing you from him. Maybe I am in his eyes. I reckon we get along pretty well, the four of us that is. Johnno and I stuck together after that day, he got a transfer and is now part of my battalion. I think he was the one who started my cricketing career, he was the fastest bowler our side of the Flinders and I used to face him, all through Primary and High school. I think he's a bit jealous that I got in and he didn't but he'd never admit it, he's too humble.
Anyway Murph I better piss off, leave you to getting better. I'll seeya when I seeya.
Love always,
Pat.

I loved Pat's letters. The girls did as well, they said they were their weekly entertainment. I guess they were mine too. My malaria had settled down, not enough to get back to work but enough so I could do the odd job around the place and comfort patients. The symptoms stopped but it had drained all the life out of me. The doctor thought it was a miracle I recovered so fast from a dose that bad, I did too.
Penny was still fretting over the letter Andrew had sent. Maggie, Viv and I had told her to stop and think about something else. To read Johnno's new letters instead of Andrew's old one.
'Hey Brook!' Her voice called from across the untame soldiers that sprinkled the patch of dirt at which they all assembled.
'What's up Pen?' I bit into my biscuit.
'There's a soldier in ward 3 that I think could do with a bit of-'
'PENNY!' A males voice bellowed over the camp, startling Penny, myself and everyone around us. Penny went white, her hands began to shake and her lip began to quiver. A tall figure stood over the two of us, he had evil eyes and jet black hair. He was tall yet kinda scrawny, Pat could've  knocked him out with one blow.
'Why aren't you in the ward?' He yelled.
'I'm getting supplies, Andrew, what are you doing here?' Penny's voice shook.
'Well I'm just passing through, did you get my letter?' Andrew asked firmly.
'Um, yes it's just here.' Penny removed the letter from her pocket and handed it to Andrew.
'Why are you giving it to me? I wrote the bloody thing I don't want it back.' He said angrily. Penny swallowed hard and shoved it back in her pocket.
'G'day Andrew, I'm Brooklyn.' I stretched out my hand, deciding it was time to step in. Andrew shook it before glaring at me.
'Go do some work Penny, I said no wife of mine would be slacking off didn't I?'
'Yes Andrew, of course.' Penny scurried away as fast as her legs could take her.
I gave him a look of utter disgust.
'You're not even married.' I stated.
'No you're right.' He replied smartly.
'How long have you been treating her like that?' I felt my face flush with anger.
'That's none of your business.' Was his response.
'It is my business, she's my best friend, I don't want you near her.' I snarled.
'She's my fiancé, you can't control me.'
'Oh, watch me soldier.' I scoffed, pursing my lips together. Andrew stood stiff, I could tell he didn't know what to think.
'Listen to me, I don't care how many women you've abused but it's got to stop, and if you're going to act like that in this camp, you can piss off because no one wants you here, especially Penny.' I told him sternly.
'I can't believe I'm getting lectured by-'
'You treat Penny like a naughty child, like she's constantly doing something wrong, you treat her like dirt, sleeping with other women at night, she's told me how late you get home, the average day for a lawyer is 9 to 5 maybe 9 to 6 not 9 to 1.' I growled.
'You know nothing about me.' He replied.
'You'd be surprised how much I know, she's naïve we both know that, but she's not stupid, she knows what you're doing believe me, she's just too afraid to kick you out cause she knows you will murder her.'
'I've never laid a hand on her.' He rebutted.
'Don't you dare lie to me.' I snarled.
'Fine I'll piss off, I'm gonna marry her, I need the money, I'm going bust.' He furrowed his eyebrows.
'Why don't you get those city sluts to pay you, I'm sure they're worth every penny.' I chuckled at my intended pun.
I watched the muscles in his face clench with anger as he turned away. I watched every heavy step he took as he left the camp. I did not want him in Penny's life and I had a guy feeling the world didn't either. Vietnam was going to make her life a lot better, that was guaranteed.