Chapter 34: Johnno's Dream

'I can't go to training today, could you let the team know please.' Johnno said leaning out the window of the taxi.
'Two days before you play in your first ashes test and you can't come to training, that's not a great look Johnno.' Pat told him sternly, his hand on the small of my back, keeping my heavily pregnant body stable.
'If your wife was about to have your first child, would you miss a training?' Johnno questioned, cocking an eyebrow. Pat laughed heartily and told him to piss off.
'Wish Penny luck for us!' I called out as the taxi sped away.
'Can you believe that it's been four years since I played in my first test, here in beautiful Woolloongabba.' Pat's eyes wondered, scanning the busy streets and blue sky as we slowly made our way down to the supermarket. I was about four days over due, walking took a little bit of strain off my aching body. During that week, Pat and I must have walked for miles, pacing the hotel room and strolling the streets.
'Don't worry Murph, baby will be here before we know it.' He reassured.
'I'm so sick of it Paddy.' I leant my head against his shoulder as he turned us around.
'I'm so excited.' Pat planted a kiss on my temple, I sent him a smile as he put his hand on my belly.
'Get ready for an amazing adventure baby.' he whispered.

So, we were blessed with a beautiful niece. Harriet Dorothy Johnson, a little girl who looked exactly like her mother, but had her father wrapped around her little finger. Two days after the birth of Hattie it was time to play. The greatest sporting rivalry was once again to be fuelled by ecstatic crowds and fiery players.

'Let me carry her, please.' Johnno took the tiny baby in his arms, her pink rug gently draped around her body. The four of us made our way into the change rooms, where we were introduced to the new wives and players of the side.
'Congrats on your bub Johnno.' Ian Chappell patted his shoulder, peering under the rug to see the baby.
'Hattie, and thank you very much.' Johnno couldn't stop beaming.
Pat lowered me into a chair, his hands cupped my cheeks as my droopy head rolled on my neck.
'You alright hun?' Pat caressed my check.
'Yeah, just tired.' I groaned.
'Right wives kids outta here, just the fellas please!' Someone bellowed. Pat and I laughed in annoyance, 'C'mon I'll help ya out.' He took my arm and lead me outside into the ladies seats.
'You let anyone know if you need anything, I don't want you hurting yourself or something odd like that, I'll see you at lunch ok?' He kissed me softly before turning back inside.

•Pat's Perspective•
'She alright mate?' Greg Chappell asked. We had two sets of brothers in the team, obviously Johnno and I, and Greg and Ian Chappell. Greg was Ian's little brother, and they were similar but very different. He was in our team but wasn't playing this test.
'I think so, she's overdue and quite sick of it  if I'm being honest.' I sighed, i couldn't help but think how strong my wife was. I wouldn't be able to carry a child around for over nine months, that's for sure.
'Righto gentlemen, down on the grass right now.' Bill Lawry called us all over to the door. We filed out the door, stamping our spikes on the hard deck.
'Right lads today is gonna be hard, this series is gonna be hard, we've got distractions, new fathers and a new team. Remember this is the first time you've played with these blokes, we're all going to struggle that's what happens, but we're all brilliant cricketers and we all know how to play and what to do, now go sing that anthem with pride, lets go.' The calmness Bill brought to our team was special. It kept us contained, but spirited.

For the first time, I stood with my arm across my brothers shoulder and his across mine, on an oval so monstrous we felt insignificant. Not a nerve was felt but excitement filled our minds.
'Cause to sing with heart and voice, God save the Queen!' We all chorused, our chests puffed out as the crowd applauded loudly.
'Righto boys, lets play cricket!' Ian Chappell said enthusiastically.

'Chappellie! NO!' I yelled, signalling to stay in the crease, but he was running and as the hand released the ball, he spun on his heel, but was run out for 59.
'Buggar.' I slammed the end of my bat against my foot and looked toward the rooms. Then, out stepped my brother.

"Please welcome to the crease, debutant Harry Johnson!"

The English, our fellow Australians and the crowd applauded him as he made his way down to me.
'Best of luck mate.' I smiled, drawing him into a hug.
'Yeah cheers, this is amazing.' Johnno grinned, walking down to the strikers end.
'Oi!' I called. 'Breathe.'
I watched the bowler send a ripper of a delivery to my brother. It was a good delivery but Johnno still thwacked it for four. It was my turn to not be able to wipe the smile from my lips. I walked over to him and fist bumped his gloves knuckles.

'Certainly wasn't our greatest innings boys, always tomorrow, go get some sleep, have a beer and we'll see how we go.'
I barely heard the last of what Bill had said, I was already outside in the stands looking for Brooklyn.
'You did good out there.' I spun around and saw her innocent yet tired face smiling back at me. I pulled her into my chest.
'Probably could've done better.' I sighed.
'That's come from your dad's mouth.' She scowled. I chuckled and held her a little tighter. 
'Time to go home I reckon.' I kissed her cheek before guiding her slowly down the stairs and out of the ground.