Chapter 18: the year to come

Patrick and Johnno's team had bowled out Andrew's for only 140. Andrew knew he was in strive and I'll tell you why; Patrick's average was 151 after 5 tests and Pat was opening.
'Please welcome to the crease, the brothers from Marree, Patrick Carmondy and Harry Johnson!' Julian broadcasted.
'The time is five thirty pm, six and a half hours until 1967 my friends, right lets get the second inning a under way, we have captain Andrew Flemmington opening the bowling from the Hospital end and Harry Johnson facing his first ball.' Mark declared.
'Flemmington comes in, bowls at his toes, hits Johnno straight in the ribs.' Julian said, the crowd 'booed' at the smirking Andrew. Johnno's hand pressed against his rib cage,
'You right mate?' Pat called, Johnno sent back a thumbs up.
Penny's grip tightened on my hand, 'He's gonna hurt him.' She muttered.
'C'mon he'll be right,' I let out a breath as Pat's eyes met mine.
'Here's Andrew for the second ball of the over.' Mark said. The ball flew down the pitch, clipping Johnno's ankle and rolling into a dead ball.
'Bloody hell!' Johnno cursed, hopping on his foot. Penny furrowed her eyebrows and let go of my hand. Andrew tore down the pitch for his third ball, it bounced and hit Johnno right in the jaw.
'Jesus!' Johnno dropped to his knees, doubling over and pounding the ground with his fist.
'That's it.' Penny bolted onto the oval.
'Penny no!' I chased after her.
'Johnno!' She knelt down beside him, taking his face in her hands. 'Where'd he hit you?' She asked.
'What are you doing? He'll find out.' Johnno fretted as he looked up revealing his cut lip and red cheek. Penny's eyes flared, her snarl turning to a chuckling Andrew. His face dropped when he saw Penny.
'Why aren't you working? We need money!' Andrew yelled. This time Penny, wasn't even fazed, she stood her ground, her hands weren't even shaking.
'No Andrew, you need money, not me!' She shouted.
'Don't yell at me girl!' Andrew stormed down the other end of the pitch, standing over Penny. Everyone held their breath, Pat clasped my hand.
'I'm sick and tired of being treated like a fool, I'm sick and tired of being spoken to like that Andrew.' Penny stated strongly, I felt like applauding her.
'Who do you think you are? Treating me like this, you're an embarrassment!' Andrew gripped her collar.
'No! Let go of me!' She shoved his arm away, 'who do you think you are? Pushing a ring on my finger then sleeping with other women! You're the embarrassment Andrew.' She yelled.
'Shut up Penny Jones.' Andrew's huge hand slapped her cheek, but Penny didn't move.
'Righto that's enough mate!' Johnno stood up.
'Keep out of it.' Andrew spat.
'You're a horrible excuse for a man! Why would anyone idealise you!? What child would stand there and say, I want to be like him? Answer me that Andrew.' Penny was wild. Andrew was silenced, with just a sentence.
'I don't want you in my life anymore Andrew Flemmington. You won't get a cent of my money or anything from me for that matter.' She clenched her fists.
'What are you going to do without a man? You can't look after yourself?' Andrew didn't know what to say, his argument was getting weaker by the second.
'Well,' Penny swallowed hard. 'I've been doing pretty good so far but you're right I do need someone and he's standing right here.' She turned to Johnno, she took his hands in hers and with tears in her eyes she said;
'Will you look after me?'
My hand flew over my mouth, I looked up at Pat's shocked face, he looked down at me, a smile of absolute joy lodged on his lips.
Johnno wiped his eye, blinked back the tears of astonishment.
'Forever, I promise.' He managed to get out before Penny pressed her lips against his. The crowd rose to their feet and applauded the brave women that stood on the pitch.
'I can't believe she did that.' Pat whispered.
'I knew she would, he needed to.' I stated, gripping his arm.
'How dare you?!' Andrew's face was burning red.
'Now you've got a slight idea of how I've felt for the past three years, I'm twenty years old Andrew, we both shouldn't have to deal with a bad relationship, no one should.' Penny's voice was gentle, tears were streaming down her cheeks but I could tell she was at peace with herself.
Andrew didn't say another word, he couldn't look anyone in the eye, he was ashamed.
'Oh, and what are you playing at here? This isn't BodyLine, just play cricket.' Penny ordered him. Andrew closed his eyes and walked back to his mark. Penny let go of Johnno's hand. I let go of Patrick's arm. I ran to her and took her in my arms,
'I'm so proud of you.' I whispered. I pulled away and held her hand in the air. The crowd cheered for a second time, continuing to applaud the raw courage and beauty as I guided her from the field.
'Those two blokes out there are bloody lucky to have you girls, don't let them treat you like that Jardine wannabe.' The bloke behind us patted Penny's shoulder.
We smiled, 'Thank you, were lucky to have them.' I told him.

Well, you've probably already guessed who won the match, but I don't think anybody really cared. There's so much more to life than just winning a game, I mean we were all about to enter a new year full of many different emotions and we wanted to start ours happily. There was no point dwelling on Andrew but we'd never forget the day Penny proved herself.
'What do you think the new year will bring Pat?' I asked, as we sat beneath the stars.
'Well, I got a letter about a week ago from a bloke called Don Bradman.' He began.
'What? What'd he want?' I questioned.
'They really want me to play in June next year, in England, they um, got me a transfer home at the end of April early May or something, so I can do a bit of training and advertising for the rest of the year.' He explained.
'That's unbelievable Pat, you can't turn it down!' I told him.
'They got you a transfer too, they think that if you come that'll bring me home too, but I don't want to leave Harry or Penny, they don't deserve to be here, no one does, not after Long Tan, not after anything.' He looked like he could cry. Long Tan had really messed him up. He was never injured, in fact he was hardly touched but the mental exhaustion he went through almost killed him.
I kissed him softly, 'Pat, listen to me, write to them, if they want you so badly, they'll bring you and your brother home.'