Chapter 12: Fame and Love

'Hey look at that! It's that bloody Australian cricketer everyone was talking about. Carmondy isn't it?!' An excitable voice echoed in my head making my eyes flutter open.
'Yeah mate.' The rough voice of Pat responded.
'How'd you get in anyway, Wally Grout can't be too bad!' Another man stated.
'Broke his finger, took a fury of a ball from McKenzie, good old Garth shattered Wally's finger in four places.' Pat replied, I closed my eyes, I felt his hand in mine and I didn't want to move. I felt beyond awful, the doctors couldn't do anything for me in the early hours of the morning, I had to sweat the fever out and try and keep water down until I eventually fell asleep. Pat had kept me and most of the ward entertained with his stories of the cricket field and the places he'd been. He signed autographs and everything, but he only left my side for a few seconds when he did so.
'Garth does send em down doesn't he!' A hearty chuckle came from the bed beside us.
'What's a cricketer? Who's Wally Grout, Garth, McKenzie and Carmondy?!' An American man questioned, obviously confused out of his mind. A chorus of laughter erupted throughout the ward.
'A cricketer is someone who plays cricket.' Someone told him.
'Garth and McKenzie are the same person, his names Garth McKenzie.' Someone continued. 'Wally Grout and Garth McKenzie and Patrick Carmondy over there play cricket for Australia.' Someone else finished.
'Cricket is that like the one that's kinda like golf, you put that big ball?' The American asked again.
'Na mate that's croquet.' Pat said, he went on to explain the basics of cricket and the American soon was quite acquainted with the game. I opened my eyes again and gripped Pat's hand. 'G'day Murph.' His hand moved to my cheek, the callouses bringing me comfort.
'G'day.' I croaked, his eyes glistening with my short reply. He smiled and handed me a glass of water.
'It's still raining, hasn't stopped.' He sighed.
'Yeah bloody Vietnam,' I looked down at his boots as I placed the glass on the table. 'Oh, bloody hell I got vomit on your boots.' I groaned.
'Murph, that's the least of my worries, I just need to know you're on the mend, so the army doesn't declare me AWOL.' He brushed back the damp hair from my forehead before kissing my lips.
'Hello Sister Murphy, bit crook I see.' Doctor Harrold appeared, his voice reminding me of some sort of crazy scientist from a movie. I nodded at his greeting.
'I'm sorry I couldn't help you earlier, but with a fever that high, I couldn't do anything.' He said, he began taking my temperature and his face dropped.
'What's going on Doc?' Pat questioned.
'That fever still hasn't broken, Vietnam weather isn't doing you any justice. I have to get that drip going I've got no choice.' The Doctor's mind was ticking, trying to find a solution. He pricked the needle into my hand and bandaged it tight. A tear slipped down my cheek. Pat winked at me, promising me 'I'd be right'.
'Ok Pat you can hold down this towel on her forehead and this one on the back of her neck, I'll be back in half an hour to check if that fever had broken.' Doctor Harrold scurried away. Pat placed the towels where he was told, and I instantly felt cooler. I smiled as fussed over me.
'Hey Mr Tamborine Man, play a song for me.' I sang out softly, heads turned, and smiles appeared.
'I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to.' Pat continued.
'Hey Mr Tamborine Man, play a song for me.' Someone sung out, grabbing their harmonic and beginning to play.
'In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you.' I sang.
'And take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind.' The whole ward chanted. I heard someone pull out a guitar and start strumming.
'Down the foggy ruins of time.' An American voice sang.
'Far past the frozen leaves!' An Irish voice sounded.
'The haunted frightened trees.' A Canadian sounded.
'Out to the windy beach!' Pat belted out.
'Far from the twisted reach of crazy sorrow.' Someone sang, the whole ward was beaming.
'Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky!' Another American laughed.
'With one hand waving free!' I continued.
'Silhouetted by the sea.' Another Aussie sang.
'Circled by the circus sands.' The bloke next to me had a really good voice.
'With all memory and fate!' Pat smiled.
'Driven deep beneath the waves!' Viv warbled.
'Let me forget about today until tomorrow!' I chorused.
'Hey Mr Tamborine Man, play a song for me! I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to. Hey Mr Tamborine Man, play a song for me! In the jingle jangle morning I'll come following you!' Everyone finished. Cheers and whistles arose from the beds, for those few short minutes that Bob Dylan ran through our heads, the world was good. No one was dying, and no one was unhappy.

'Patrick Carmondy?' I loud voice boomed, ceasing all cheering.
'Yeah.' Pat stood up. A huge man appeared, towering over Pat. He had a beard and a pristine uniform.
'You and Harry Johnson are to report back to you battalion as soon as possible, a chopper is waiting for you outside.' He ordered.
Pat scowled, 'I'm not leaving her now.'
'I'm sorry mate, don't shoot the messenger, get in the chopper.' The man responded.
Pat turned to me, 'Go,' I said. 'I'll write.'
'I know you will, I will too, I'll be back as soon as I can, get better alright.' He leant down and kissed me passionately.
'I'll be right, I love you.' I told him, my throat burning.
'I'll see you soon Murph, I love you.' He whispered before disappearing outside.
'Hey Brooklyn, are you alright?!' Penny's voice echoed in my ears. My head swirled again.
'Malaria.' I stated simply, having a sip of water. She sighed, a pulled a letter out of her pocket.
'Who's it from?' I asked.
'Andrew.' She started. 'I can't interpret it.'

Penny.
I hope you are pulling your weight over there, no wife of mine will slack off. I hope you understand that.
The boys and I are battling hard. You nurses have it easy compared to us.
Anyway, talk to you later.
Andrew. 

Penny's eyes were wide and innocent.
'I'm going to give you my honest thoughts Pen, no secrets, he sounds like a prick.' I stated honestly. She screwed up her nose then stopped to think.
'When I was with Harry last night, all we did was sleep but I've never felt like that before, not with anyone, its killing me Murph, really killing me.'