Chapter 36: She's Magic, That One

•Patrick's Perspective•
I felt like I was running on air. I was on top of the world as I bolted back to my position behind the stumps.
'Righto, you can bowl now, sorry everyone.' I grinned, wiping my eyes.
'Hang on.' Alan Knott, the English batsman began. 'We didn't wait all this time for you to come back with nothing.' He finished, excitement in his voice.
'Yeah Patrick.' Ian Chappell crossed his arms over with a smile.
'Go on Carmo, give us the run down.' Paul Sheahan told me.
'I have a little boy.' I said simply, the smile on my face widening.
'AYE!' all my fellow team mates ran in and formed an excited huddle. Hands were ruffling my hair, and laughter could be heard across the ground. The crowd clapped, rising to their feet and applauding the fact I'd become a father.
'Congratulations brother.' Johnno hugged me tight before pushing me towards the stumps. 'Now play cricket!'

I had never kept wicket quite like I did that day. Every take was soft and smooth, I didn't let one through and I was able to help with the dismissal of 7 wickets. I'd missed the feeling of being simply happy. Living in the know that life was good and in fact in my favour.

Although Australia and the dreaded England drew the first test, it was one of the best tests matches I had ever played. We drank a lot of beer, a lot of champagne, a few brawls were started but finished just a fast. I was excited to get home, home being the hotel, to see the miracle I called my son and my wife.

'Knock, knock.' I called, quietly I stepped into the silent apartment. Brooklyn poked her head out of the bedroom, her hand beckoned me in. I dropped my bag of gear and made my way toward the door.
If I could capture the sight before me in just a few sentences I would, but the joy I felt seeing the simplicity of family before me left me lost for words.
Don lay in the centre of the bed, his tiny being, still and calm. Brooklyn on her side lay beside him, her head propped up in the palm of her hand. Her eyes were wide with awe as she studied the tiny baby, falling in love with every tiny piece of him.
The bed creaked with the weight of my heavy body, causing Don to open his huge eyes.
'G'day mate.' I whispered, as his little hand wrapped around my finger. He gurgled, scrunching his face up as he blinked.
'Isn't he just perfect?' Brooklyn muttered. 'Jarrah would be very proud.'
'Yes Brooklyn, he'd be bloody proud.' I kissed her lips, leaning over our little boy.

I woke to sobs at 3 am, I turned my head to the squirming baby. It was hot, not good sleeping weather at all, so I picked him up into my arms and took him into the lounge room.
'How about we dance Don? Whatd'ya reckon little mate?' I swayed over to the radio and pressed down on the 'FM' button.
"Put a candle, in the window, cause I feel I've got the blues!"
'I like Creedence, you have no choice but to like 'em.' I told him.
Don and I danced for hours, the radio providing us the entertainment to get us through the long night.
'Gonna be even worse tomorrow, but Mum needs to get home.' I informed the wide awake child that lay in my arms.

Brooklyn was in a mood and had been for a while. It wasn't a bad mood but I wouldn't have called it a good one either. We were so close to Thornton beach she could hear the waves crashing in her ears. It was like she was craving the senses of her old life. Almost like it was the opposite to wanderlust.

'Patrick, you spend a large majority of your life wanting to be somewhere else, longing for cities you'd never explored and cobblestone streets you'd never wandered, there are still so many places you want to unfold and delve deep into their pasts, but there's an irresistible sandy dirt road, it's got a few pot holes but it's reasonably smooth, it's a memory of that place you once called home, that place you could sing in the shower and dance to your own music, that place you could just sit and you'd be occupied but also where you know you're at your most bored state. It's that place you can love and live openly without the fear of judgement lingering on your shoulder. The only place in the world that you know every detail about but discover something knew about every day. That's home, and I long to be there.'

The way she said that to me, left me speechless. Don was her excuse to go home, at least that's what I thought, but there was so much more she wanted us both to see. So much she wanted to display, she wanted to lay her heart on her sleeve and prove to the two of us that her world was just a beautiful as the Adelaide Oval or Lords Cricket Ground.

So, on that 45 degree day in the late November of 1970, Murph, Don and I travelled from Brisbane to Thornton Beach at the very top of Australia. As the kilometres began to fall behind us, Brooklyn's smile began to widen and her laugh became louder.
Then she saw the sea.
Her hands began to shake and her lip began to quiver. She handed me the baby, her body lurched forward and she ran. Her bare feet took her down onto the sand and into the water.
'Hello home!' Brooklyn twirled with the waves.
I stood on the footpath and watched as she frolicked with the water.
'She's magic, that one.' A hoarse voice stated. I turned to my left and saw the brave face of Dover. Stunned by the sudden revelation of the soldier, I replied; 'Oh that's an understatement.'