Chapter 39: 1993

'So, I've gathered you all here today because I have some pretty amazing news.' Don began. He stood in front of our entire family, a beer lodged in his hand and his wife Caitlin beside him. She looked up at him lovingly, her hand against her emerging belly.
'Last time you said that we became grandparents!' Pat hollered, making everyone laugh.
'Tell us Don, put us out of our misery!' I usher him. Don's hand ran through his curly dark hair, his ocean green eyes widened with delight.
'I will be touring England this Ashes Series with the Australian cricket team.' A smirk appeared across his face of pride. We were all shocked into silence for a few moments.
'You're kidding?!' Pat rose to his feet, a smile beaming from his lips.
'No Dad, I am playing cricket for Australia!' Don exclaimed.
'You little beauty!' Pat took his son in a rough yet loving embrace, laughter filled the General Store and claps arose from our excited hands.
'I'm very proud of you Donnie.' I cupped his face in my hands.
'Thanks Mum.' He smiled, I pulled him into a hug, 'You're just like your dad you know.'
'I know.' Don chuckled.
Zoe let go of her fiancé Alex's hand. She stepped up to her brother and with a huge smile she said; 'My fucking brother is playing for Australia!'
Don looked down at her, 'does that surprise you Zoe?' He asked.
'No, it surprised me that they picked me to play for Australia before they picked you, they were definitely saving you.' She explained.
'They most certainly were.' Don replied. Zoe threw her arms around her brothers waist.
'Good luck Don, you're gonna need it.' She joked quietly. Don laughed and hugged her tighter. Violet came over and weaved her way into the hug, 'I love you two so much.' She whispered.
Pat put his arm across my shoulders, I lifted my hand and intertwined our fingers.
'We've done good Murph, very, very good.' He said as Don swigged at his beer, his little sister's under his arms.
'We certainly have Pat, we certainly have.' I grinned, Pat's lips pressed against mine before we stared out at the wild water of Thornton Beach.
-
•Don's Perspective•
'Don I'm not to sure about this, I think I should just stay at the hotel.' Caitlin stated shyly. The uncertainty of meeting a heap of other women in the same position as her, must gotten to her.
'C'mon Cat, carpe diem my sweet, seize the day, make the most of it, who knows maybe you'll make some friends.' I clasped her hand in mine as I helped her from the car.
'Carpe diem, seize the day.' She smirked, 'cheesy but true.'
I smiled and kissed her lips, 'just be yourself and they'll love you.' I winked. Caitlin smiled nervously in response. I pulled my little girl from her car seat and into my arms, 'Hello Molly first tour of England and you're 3 weeks old.' I chuckled, linking Cat's arm in mine. I'd already been at Old Trafford for about 2 hours, training with my new team and experiencing what it's really like to play cricket in England. The game started in half an hour and the ground was pouring in through the gates, I stood at the boundary of the oval, with my little girl and my wife in absolute awe of the world around me.
'It's all yours Don Carmondy, carpe diem, seize the day.' Cat kissed my cheek, I chuckled in response. Cat cupped my cheeks in her smooth hands. Her doe-like blue eyes caught mine, and she curled onto her tip toes.
'Promise me something.' She began.
'Anything.' I replied.
'Promise me that today will be the start of our lives, promise me I'll get to see that smile on your face everyday.' She whispered.
'Caitlin Carmondy, I promise.' I leant down and captured her lips, Molly gurgled in my arms.
'You Dad wants to see you, he's in the change rooms, Molly and I might go and get settled, we'll see you at lunch.' Caitlin smiled, waving Molly's little hand at me as she wandered back through the gate.

'Dad, how are ya?' I asked, shaking his hand with a smile.
'Good Donnie, you nervous?' He cocked an eyebrow with a smirk.
'That's an understatement.' I replied, we chuckled at my nervousness.
'Well I want to tell you something, the top three best moments of my life are very, very similar to yours, the day I married Murph, the three days you kids were born, and the day I made my debut for Australia. They'll tell you to treat today like any other game, don't, saver every moment of the game, remember every ball you face or take, treat today like it's the last game of cricket you will ever play because it is, it is the last first game of cricket you will play for Australia.' Dad's eyes were filled with pride, he took me in his arms.
'Your mum and sisters are here, perform today but don't push yourself, just play the game, carpe diem, you know the drill, seize the day little mate, seize the day.' He winked at me as I thanked him immensely. He walked out into the commentary box, Uncle Johnno joining him.
I was woken from my daze by the voice of Michael Slater booming in my ear.
'Pumped Mate?' He slapped my shoulder.
'Too right.' I replied.
'Can you believe it? We're playing for Australia!' Slat's couldn't wipe the smile off his face.
'Debutants we are mate debutan-'
"Right gentlemen gather round!" Alan roared, and we all huddled together eager for the adrenaline to kick in.
'This is it.' Alan started. 'This is your life, this is how you chose to spend it, upholding the dreams and ambitions of the Australian men before us, many try and many fail to play for this country and on every hallowed turf possible, but we have succeeded gentlemen, we have the honour of facing our dreams head on and improving them as we live them. Whether you're a leg spinner, a wicket keeper, a fast bowler or a batsmen, I don't care, we are going into this metaphorical war together, these are your dreams gentlemen, carpe diem!'

Seize the day, he told us, and seize the day we did.