Chapter 25: Home

Home. A word that brings back so many memories, it transports you to a world you feel safe, loved, comforted and most of all, happy. Home has sounds that no where else does, the squealing kettle at five am or your brother's laughter or the wafting draft of your father's tobacco.
I stepped off the plane feeling on top of the world, the clear, fresh Australian air filling my lungs and for the first time in two years my hazy mind cleared.
'Brookie?' Dad's voice bought a tear to my eye, one of my favourite places to be was in my father's embrace.
'I missed ya Dad.' I mumbled into his shoulder.
'I'm bloody proud of you Brooklyn Murphy.' He said, taking my bag and guiding me to the car. I slept all the way from Cairns to Thornton Beach, which is about two and a half hours, when I woke up I was a brand new person. For the first proper sleep since I left home, it wasn't to bad at all.
'Auntie Brooke!' A little hand rested softly on my thigh, a little voice begged for me to wake.
'Heya George.' I gasped, he'd grown a lot, his features were more defined and suddenly a miniature Ace stood in front of me. He dragged me from the car before wrapping his little arms around my legs. His big blue eyes looked up at me and a smile appeared on his rosy cheeks.
'I've missed you, thanks for coming home.' He said. I hoisted him up and hugged him tighter.
'I've missed you more than you'll ever imagine.' I smiled, pressing my lips onto the tip of his nose.

I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting behind the counter of the store, listening to jealous women talk about me, which I found oddly amusing. I snuck into bed at around six, but I never totally went to sleep. I flicked through photo albums of my childhood and shed a few tears over the brothers I'd left behind.

I heard the bell ring signalling the opening of the door at around nine o'clock. Pat and Johnno had to take a later flight than Penny and I. I dragged my body into the main part of the General store, my eyes heavy and head swirling. I raised my head and instantly I was drawn to the setting by the window. There, just staring out at the ocean was a dark haired man, his green eyes focused out on the rolling sea as lighting kissed the water. Just like 1965, every nerve in my body ignited in an instant.
'Would you like to order something?' I asked, my heart racing. Just like 1965 there was no response, only this time a smile appeared on the face of the man I had longed to see. He turned to face me, and just like 1965, his piercing green eyes captivated me.
'Patrick Carmondy.' His name just rolled off my tongue.
'Brooklyn Murphy.' My name just rolled off his. I ran forward and threw myself into his arms. His strong arms wrapped around my waist as I buried my face into his shoulder. His hand rested on the top of my back pulled me closer to him.
'How have you been?' His husky voice whispered.
'No questions,' I told him, pulling away and staring dead into his eyes.
'No answers.' He replied and he slammed his lips against mine. Our lips moved in sync as he pressed me against the wall, his body holding mine steady and his hands roaming every inch of body. My fingers stretched out as I tilted my head back, my body fighting the pleasure it was engulfed by as he kissed my neck.
'Pat, what about Mum and Dad?' I questioned as he slowly undid the buttons of my shirt, before pulling it off and throwing it behind the counter.
'We'll be quiet.' He muttered against the sensitive skin of my neck. He hoisted me higher onto his waist as I giggled, he carried me into my bedroom, the floor boards creaking against the weight.

Pat placed my feet gently on the floor, he shut the door softly and our eyes locked, hearts beating in sync. I stepped backwards, before fumbling with the button on my jeans. Pat's glassy eyes focused on my fingers as I pulled the denim down and kicked it off of my feet. I stood in just my underwear, my heart beating so fast I thought I would pass out. We'd done this before yet the nervousness I felt only drove me to his body.
His bare chest and toned stomach. His soft smile suddenly was only just in front of my eyes, his hands unclipped my wire bra and soon it was laying on the floor. I could hardly breathe when his hands pushed me back against the bed and his fingers hooked the sides of my panties. It seemed like almost instantly he was undressed and standing in front of me with a lust so powerful in his eyes it was almost frightening.
'Promise me,' he started. 'You'll tell me if you want me to stop.'
'Patrick,' I muttered. 'I want this, I need this, I want you, I need you! After all we've been through, look what we've overcome!' I planted my lips on his, tears brimming in our eyes. He pushed me back onto the pillow and placed soft kisses down the valley of my breasts, my finger nails scratched his back as he got lower and lower and lower.
'I love you Brooklyn Murphy, with my whole heart I love you.' His tender words sent me over the edge. I grasped his face and kissed his swollen lips and he pushed open my legs with the softest of finger tips.
'Patrick.' I breathed out.

We soon found our bodies entangled, perspiration coating our skin and soft smiles lodged on our faces.
'I'm so ready to spend my life with you.' I whispered, pressing my forehead against his and cupping his cheek.
'Do you ever think that maybe everything could've been different?' Pat muttered, kissing the tip of my nose.
'No,' I began. 'Because if it was different I wouldn't have met you and I can't really imagine a life without you now.' The cheesy line bought a smile to his face and a beauty to the night that neither of us had felt in a long, long time.