Chapter 5: Reclaiming the Ashes

Patrick proved himself not only as a batsman but also as a wicket keeper, taking 6 wickets in one innings and stopping some unbelievable balls. He continued to play through till the fifth and final test of the 1965-1966 Ashes series, it was held in Melbourne and England and Australia were at each-other's throats. Patrick called me every night, reminding me that he thinks of me and that he can't wait to show me the life he leads, whatever that means. On the fourth day of the fifth test match, (February 16th, 1966), I got a call from an overly excited Pat.
'Hello Brooklyn Murphy, speaking?' I began.
'Murphy did you see my six?! Did you see it?!' I could tell he was still wearing his helmet as his voice was slightly muffled. The sound of him sent a shiver down my spine and a smile to my face.
Which one?' I replied smartly.
'The one I ramped! Tell me you saw it.' His voice sounded hopeful, Pat had hit the ball straight over the top of the keeper and directly into the top stands.
'I most certainly did, you would've got that ball to the face if you didn't hit it!' I told him. Patrick laughed, 'No ball touches me, sweet girl.' He said.
'
Talking to ya misses again are ya Paddy?' someone teased in the background. I heard Patrick tell him to piss off before a rustle came down the line.
'Sorry had to take my helmet off,' he informed, his voice clearer. 'You should come down to Melbourne and watch me tomorrow.' His suggestion was very appealing.
'Pat that's easier said than done.' I sighed.
'C'mon Murphy, it's my last test before Nam, please come.' He begged. I fell silent in thought.
'I'm sorry Pat but I just don't think it's possible.' I said.
Righto, don't worry, you'll be in my heart.' He stated solemnly.
I wasn't missing the test match for the world, nothing would stop me from getting to that oval. 

Early the next day I found myself on a plane bound for Melbourne. I landed at 12:30 and was in a taxi on the way to the MCG by 12:40. By 1:30pm I was seated in the front row of the bottom stand, to my left was the aisle that lead to the dressing room, the aisle that the boys ran from to get onto the oval. Australia was fielding, and Patrick was the keeper. I waited patiently for the boys to emerge from the murky dressing room, where foul smells lingered but excitement was proud.

"Please welcome onto the field, the Australian Cricket team, led by your captain Bobby Simpson!"

"LET'S GO AUSTRALIA!"  the crowd's chants erupted into the summer sky. The boys ran out beside me as we clapped. Last to exit was my Pat, his green eyes piercing through the grille of his helmet. He gnawed on his chewing gum as he pulled on his gloves.
'Oi Pat!' I called out making him stop and turn around. He gasped and threw his gloves on the ground, he leant over the fence and cupped my face before pressing his lips to mine making the crowd 'oo'ed and 'ahh'ed
'You said you couldn't come.' He pulled away, revealing his glassy eyes. I chuckled with a smile.
'Don't cry! Go play cricket!' I ordered and that's exactly what he did. Patrick Carmondy went on to help take 7 wickets, bringing England and Australia to another frustrating draw. When that final wicket fell, the boys ran onto the pitch, the entire crowd cheering as they hugged and bellowed with excitement. Australia had earned the right to keep the 6-inch urn on our turf.

"AUSTRALIA HAS RECLAIMED THE ASHES!"  the speaker declared as the Aussie's and the English disappeared into their separate dressing rooms. Pat helped me jump the fence and picked me up into his arms before carrying me into the rooms where the excitement continued. Beers were being thrown to each person in the room, Pat slammed his helmet down and cheered, his right arm around my neck and the left in the air with a beer lodged in his hand.
'Righto gentlemen, ladies settle it down!'Bobby Simpson stood on one of the benches.
'I'd just like to thank you all, for the amount of effort, time and perseverance you've put into this team to beat the bloody POM's!' we all cheered.
'You've made this series' captaincy a very pleasurable experience. You have all supported every decision I have made, bad or good, and you've never let me down. You're bloody good cricketers and ripper blokes and I'm extremely proud of you all.' Simpson shook his head with pride.
'HERE! HERE!' we agreed, raising our bottles.
'One last thing before I get off this thing, I'd like to acknowledge our debutant, young Paddy Carmondy, mate you're up there with the best keeper I've had the pleasure of playing with, you've proved yourself mate and we'll be glad to have you back, but for now on behalf of Australia I'd like to wish you the best of luck in Vietnam, keep your spirits high and never forget your cricket. You'll have a spot in the Australian side when you get home, that's a promise. On that note can we all raise our glasses, for Paddy and the Australian team and for every adventure to come!'
We all raised our glasses to the sky, 'To Paddy!' I announced.
'TO PADDY!' was the hailed reply.