Chapter 37: The Real Reason For Sledging

•Brooklyn's Perspective•
So, Australia lost the Ashes in 1971. Which wasn't taken lightly at all, but it was definitely a mechanism for improvement. Pat, Don and I were settled once again in Sydney in our little red brick cottage on the terrace.
Don's character began to build as the years passed. He turned into a caring, humble and determined cricketer which wasn't surprising. He watched over his two little sisters, Zoe and Violet, and guarded them with his life. Zoe and Don were only 14 months apart, Violet was a little younger, but they were each other's best friends. Tour life never once took its toll on their spirits or their creativity. They practiced cricket whenever they got the chance, whether it was on the grass of Lords or the dusty turf of Perth. Along with their cousins Hattie and Max, the kids all developed cricketing skills, that caught the eye of the Australian coach. Obviously at 10 years old Don couldn't play for Australia, but apparently potential had been noticed.

Pat retired from test cricket in about 1980, he decided that taking balls that fly at 160 kilometres per hour, at age 34 was getting hard. Patrick had ended up captaining the side from 1975 through until his retirement, everyone was quite sad to see him and Johnno go, but they both certainly stayed within the system. Both began two of the most recognisable voices of cricket. Their commentary was never questioned, and as the game expanded so did their knowledge.
Pat enjoyed the game immensely in the huge scale it had grown to but it was the small games played in the northern suburbs of Sydney that he really loved.

'Dad, are you gonna watch us play cricket today?' Don appeared in the kitchen, securing his cap on his head. He was all decked out in his whites and the excitement in his eyes continued to grow with every step he took.
'Wouldn't miss it for the world little mate, do you get to keep today?' Pat cocked an eyebrow, looking down at his 16 year old son.
'Well, I dunno Dad, of course I get to keep, what are you talking about?!' Don exclaimed. 'Are you coming Mum?'
'Don, it's your grand final of course I'm going to be there.' I replied, ruffling his hair as I handed 14 year old Zoe her hair tie.
'Good girl Zo, don't forget your cap, now both of you out the front, I want a photo.' I told the two of them. 12 year old Violet, who was more of a netball player than a cricketer, ordered to be included in the photograph.

Zoe stood proudly beside her big brother, the two of them were quite excited about their first cricket grand final together. I wasn't lying when I said they were best friends, they fought but they could barely leave each other's side, the three of them, I guess that's how Zoe started playing cricket in the first place.

'Righto go have fun you two.' Pat ordered.
'We will Dad.' Zoe replied as she hugged Violet.
'Yeah, don't worry Dad, we'll be right.' Don grinned, pulling on his keeping gloves.
'You'll keep an eye out for her, wont you Don?' I questioned.
'Mum, have I ever not?' He hugged me tight.
'Love ya little mate.' I told him, Don smiled and ran over to the team.
'Zoe don't let those boys push you around, you're better than them anyway.' Pat winked, making Zoe giggle.

•Don's Perspective•
'Oi Carmondy, what's ya sister on the field for?! She can barely throw let alone bowl!'
I tuned my head to the voice on the sidelines, I stood up from my crouch and walked over to Zoe.
'Open the bowling.' I told her.
'What? Don no.' She debated.
'Mike give Zoe a bowl please!' I called off the bowler.
'Don, I don't want to!' She protested.
'Zoe listen to me, that bloke's comment got to you didn't it?' I asked, she nodded.
'Now I really don't want to pummel him but I've gotta do what I've gotta do and he has one more chance before I send him into next week, if you open the bowling a take a wicket or two it'll shut him up, and unclench my fist, all the lad's believe in you, Mum, Dad and Vi do as well, just bowl like it's the last game of cricket you will ever play,' Zoe took a deep breath and took the ball from Mike. She flicked it in her fingers a few times before she said.
'Let's see how this goes.'
I smiled and patted her shoulder excitedly.
'Righto boys lets give Zoe some encouragement!' I clapped my gloves together, my voice echoing over the ground.
"LETS GO ZOE!"
"SEND THE BAILS FLYING ZOE!"
Zoe's eyes were still, they were on the batsmen's toes. Her brown Hair was trapped beneath her cap but a few strands had escaped, she tucked them her ear then stepped forward. She powered through her run up, then released the ball. It spun down the pitch at such a rapid pace I don't think the batsmen saw it, I certainly didn't but it ended up in my hand. With the batsmen half way down the pitch I slammed my hands and the ball against the stump, jumping in the air and appealing at the top of my lungs. The umpire pointed his finger to the sky;
'Tell ya story walking pal!' I ordered. Zoe walked along side the batsmen, her lips pursed together and hands in her pockets.
'Zoe what are you doing?' Someone questioned, she continued to stroll down to the boundary, where she opened the gate for the fallen batsmen.
'Thank you for your input before, although slightly offensive and quite rude, the laws of cricket say sledging is aloud for one reason only and that is to fuel the player's determination and drive to either bat exceptionally or take wickets, I'm going to play cricket now, but the next time you discriminate a player just remember who's team you're really on.' Zoe turned back onto the field, her hands tucked in her pockets once again. All our jaws were slightly hung open at the sudden boost of confidence Zoe had received but the pride I felt knowing that my sister had won the game on the first ball was indescribable.