Chapter 11: Malaria

Back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. The repetition became quite tiring. You got lost in the jungle with just one look, and after a while even the patients faces began to look the same. After the fourth trip no one spoke, there was nothing to say. Three am bought chaos, there had obviously been a huge advance and men were coming in from all directions. Penny's face was as white as a sheet, she was sweating profusely and she was struggling to keep her eyes open.
'Penny last one hun.' I told her as we bent down to pick up a patient. She nodded before falling into her back.
'Shit! I need water over here!' I yelled, rushing to her aid.
'Here.' A shy voice handed me a bottle of water. The blonde haired man knelt down beside us, his eyes were wide as I brought Penny back to consciousness.
'Is she gonna be alright?' He asked quietly.
'She'll be fine.' I told him as Penny groaned.
'Drink Pen, we'll grab something to eat when we get back to Vung Tau.' I told her, she took the bottle of water and the blonde haired man secured her in his arms. Pat appeared beside me.
'G'day Johnno.' Pat sounded, a smile appearing on his bloody cheeks.
'Carmondy! How ya doing mate?' The two men clasped hands, Johnno never letting go of Penny.
'Murphy this is Harry Johnson, or Johnno, we went to school together.' Pat draped his arm across my shoulders.
'Pleasure to meet you.' I smiled.
'C'mon lets go this is the last run!' Daniel bellowed. We all trundled back into the helicopter for the last flight back to Vung Tau.

We were sitting around a table in the middle of the court yard. Penny and I had gotten out of Ward duties and Daniel promised to drop Pat and Johnno back the next morning.
'We should probably get Penny to a bed.' I suggested.
'Where's her bunk?' Johnno asked.
I smiled; 'furthest shed to the right, bed closest to the door on the left side.' I explained. Johnno laughed before carrying the sleeping Penny away from the wooden park table.
I sat across from the broken soldier, his sparkling green eyes capturing every bit of my attention. The calloused fingers of his right hand caressed my cheek, he began to trace the freckles on my nose before he lent over and kissed me softly. I wasn't sure if it was tears of happiness or drops of rain that trickled down my check as I studied every perfect imperfection.
'We're gonna get outta here darlin',' Pat whispered. 'I promise.'
I got out of my seat, I stepped around the table and took him in my arms. I fell into his shoulder as he drew my whole body close to his, he caressed my back with the tips of his fingers.
'I can't do it Pat, I can't do it anymore.' I cried loudly. He pushed me forward, his hands gripping my arms as he stared me dead in the eyes.
'Yes you can Murphy, you can and you will. Carry on my sweet girl because everything you're doing here will benefit you in the future.' Patrick told me firmly. I felt my lip begin to wobble and as he let me go I fell to my knees, crying into my hands and praying we'd get to leave this place for good. Pat took me in his arms once again, holding my shaking body as the heavy rain fell.
'I love you so much.' He whispered simply. My grip on his shirt tightened, my way of returning the statement.
'Johnno and I were given a 'guests cabin' why don't you go and settle in there while I grab you some dry clothes?' Pat suggested, helping me to my feet. I nodded.
'It's number 4.' He said and I scuttled away carefully through the hazy night. I knew exactly where the cabins were, they were a row of special cottages for important people. Matron Cleary slept in on and when the generals were in or a sergeant needed nursing they stayed there also. Daniel must have pulled some strings for the two of the boys, he was a professional blackmailer that's for sure.
The cottage was warm, not an angry humid warm but a subtle homely kind of warm. A warm I hadn't felt in almost half a year. I sat on the edge of the rather large bed, tugging my boots from my feet. I relieved myself of my socks and wriggled my toes in the soft air. 
'Feels good doesn't it?' Pat appeared, making me jump. 'Bloody flighty Murph, you right?' 
'Mmm yeah I'm right.' I shivered, the lies I had told over the past few months were uncountable. I had a pounding headache, an obvious fever and a dry cough. I had men come in like this all the time, usually it was just stress or exhaustment but malaria was a huge risk. Pat's face softened, he placed the dry clothes in my lap. I slowly began to remove my shirt, one button at a time.
'Let me give you a hand.' Pat kneeled in front of me as I felt my eyes grow heavy. I hadn't even relaised that he had taken it off when he snapped me back from my daze.
'Murph?' he began in a worried tone. 'Have you had these bites checked out?'
I began to feel dizzy, my stomach churning. 
'Wh-what bites?' I asked. The back of Pat's hand rested on my forehead, his hand then moved to my back and then to my cheeks.
'Shit Brooklyn, look at me, are you sure you're feeling okay?' he got to his feet.
'Yeah.' I felt my mouth bulge and vomit fell on the floor. Pat picked me up and rushed me outside, my world spun as he put me on the ground. 
'I've got to get you admited you're not well at all.' Pat's skin wa pale and he was in a dry sweat.
'No, I'm alright.' I argued.
'Brooklyn, listen to me, both you and I have seen this 1000 times before.' he stared into my eyes.
'Malaria.' I stated, nausea creeping into my system. 
'You got it darl.' Pat nodded.