Chapter 16: Irish Twins

Have you ever held your brother in your arms and watched him struggle to draw air into his chest. Have you ever held him and ordered for him to keep his eyes open or he'd die. Have you ever had to reassure your brother that he wasn't about to throw everything away because of some stupid war.
I have.
Have I mentioned that Johnno was my brother. He had taken our mother's maiden name and I'd taken my father's just to confuse the people of the town. We were what they call Irish twins, I was born in the January and he was born in the October. We were in the same class at school, the same footy team and the same cricket team. Both our parents were immigrants from Ireland and Harry used to get absolutely pummelled by the kids at school, until I stepped in. No one messed with my brother, not after I hit George Gibson so hard he had to go to Hospital. I wasn't violent, in fact I avoided fights usually but he'd hurt Harry pretty badly and I wasn't gonna let him get away with it.
'What were you doing anyway?' I questioned, as we stumbled through the jungle to a medic.
'Bill needed my help, so I helped him.' Johnno chuckled.
'You took a bullet for him?' I clarified.
'Yeah but he died anyway isn't he.' Johnno tried to expand his chest.
'Try not to move ok, I can't let you lose any more blood.' I told him, pressing a hand against his chest. I winced in pain as I hoisted him higher into my arms. Johnno groaned as the chopper came into view.
'Nearly there mate.' I told him.
'Bring him through, careful now.' The American nurse ushered me toward the chopper.
'You're coming with me right?' Johnno grasped my arm as I laid him down on the cold metal.
'I don't know if I can.' I felt my eyes go hazy.
'Pat you're bleeding!' Johnno stated. I looked down at torso. A patch of sticky blood had oozed through my thin shirt, sweeping through my left rib cage.
'Better jump in there too.' A nurse ordered. 
'No I'm alright.' I testified.
'Patrick!' Johnno snarled. 'Get in the chopper.'
I was pushed into the helicopter and I pulled Johnno closer to me. We listened to the men of our battalion moan in pain as we hovered over the jungle, making our way into Vung Tau. Johnno and I were laid on seperate stretchers and were lifted out of the chinuk and onto the bull dust. I got to my feet and brushed off the dirt.
'What are you doing? You're like a sheet!' Johnno rasped.
'I'm getting Penny, I'm not letting them just brush over you.' I told him.
'Pat, please don't pull the protective older brother now, neither of us need it. I'll get seen to when I get seen to, don't leave me here on my own, please mate.' Johnno pleaded.
'I won't be long c'mon, you'll be alright.' I replied.
'Pat, you're injured too.' He stated, my hand rested against the blood stain.
'I'll be right back.' I said, my feet carried me into the high dependancy ward.
'Excuse me Sister, is Sister Jones anywhere?' I asked politely. The young nurse turned to me and told me to check the dorms because she hadn't seen her all day. My legs felt like they weighed two tonne each as I dragged my body over towards the dorms. My raspy breathes made my head spin, I couldn't draw any air into my chest.
'Patrick is that you?' Penny's voice droned in my ear. I nodded and began attempting to explain what had happened.
'Johnno is over there,' I gasped, 'he got shot.'
'Yeah, and you did too.' Her voice disappeared and everything felt like it was falling.
'PATRICK!' A scream engulfed my head as everything went black.

I woke to the sound of thunder and pelting rain. My head swirled and I could hardly see straight.
'G'day Pat, hey mate, calm down.' A pair of hands gripped my arm and pinned me down to my bed.
'Where's Johnno?' I questioned. The voice laughed.
'I'm right here mate, you gotta keep sane, Brooklyn is here so be normal.' Johnno ordered. I pushed my damp hair back and sighed.
'What the hell have I done to myself? I feel like shit.' I stated, sitting up slowly and leaning against the back board.
'I feel the same way don't worry, you gave your head a pretty good wack on the wooden veranda steps and the bullet punctured your lung, got stuck under my collar bone.' Johnno explained, laying back on his bed.
'Bloody hell, how long have I been out for?' I was so disorientated.
'You've been in and out for about,' he paused and looked at his watch. '15 maybe 16 hours.'
'Fair dinkum?!' I clarified in shock.
'Couldn't be more true.' Johnno chuckled.
'Has Murph been in?'
'Course she bloody well has! She's just gone to grab some food cause he hasn't eaten for 15 maybe 16 hours!' Johnno was in a very giggly mood. It bought a smile to my face as he spoke of how Penny happened to be the first person he saw when he woke up.
'Bloody hell Pat, you scared the shit outta me!' Murph threw her arms around my neck and smile appearing on her face. Her hair was saturated and little droplets of water trickled off her fingers.
'I'm not going anywhere now, I promise.' She smiled, taking a pack of playing cards from her pocket. I grinned, to know someone loves you so much they can't leave your side is something special. I felt like the only person in the world the moment I laid eyes on her, and I promised myself that no matter how many lives I happen to change, I will continue to change her life for the better every day.