Chapter 9

(Shay’s Point of View)

“No sex until after graduation?  That’s like nine months away!  That’s the equivalent of being pregnant!  I don’t suppose he told you not to drink too did he?”  Dani said very loudly as we walked into school.  

“Dani, shut up!  That is not what I want everyone talking about.”  I snapped at her in a hushed tone.  

“Wow, sensitive subject?”  She taunted.

“Okay, it’s not ideal but I can live with it.  It’ll go by in no time.”

“Morning Ms. Morris, Ms. Shay.”  A smooth voice greeted us.  I turned around to face Will, wearing dark grey dress pants and a white dress shirt rolled up to his elbows.  

“Since when do teachers call students by their last names?”  I asked, flashing him a wide grin.  

“Well, I know that you prefer to be called by your last name so I’m doing you a favor.”  He responded, matching my expression.  “And now that I’ve started doing so, I’m kind of stuck.”  He responded sheepishly at the end, his grin sliding off his face.  

“That’s more like it.”  I responded.  He laughed and winked at me as he walked to his classroom.  Dani and I were standing by our lockers and I just remembered Jeremiah still wasn’t back from his summer vacation to the Galapagos.  Damn people with exciting summer vacations.  Then again, I spent most of mine with Will so I guess all’s well then ends well.  

“Hey, when does Jere get back?”  I asked Dani.  Jeremiah was our best guy friend.  Wouldn’t trade him for the world.  We’ve been friends since kindergarten, before Dani and I became friends in fourth grade, and he was my first kiss in sixth grade.  We remained friends but started dating in eighth grade.  We broke up the summer before freshman year but became better friends.  He now comes to Dani and me whenever he’s having girl trouble and vice versa.  

“He said he lands tonight so we know that means he won’t be here until Thursday.”  She responded, looking into the mirror she had in her locker.  Any time he was flying in late from one of his many frivolous vacations, he always stayed home an extra day.  

“Ohh... I’ll call him at like, four tomorrow morning.”  I said, giggling like a madwoman.  

“Back to your same old tricks I see.”  Dani said rolling her eyes and laughing at me.  To get back at Jeremiah for being gone to begin with, and then being late back, on the first day of his trip and on his first day back I call him really early in the morning, even if that means I have to get up to call him.  I would set my alarm, sleep until it wakes me up, call him, wait for him to answer, then hang up.  Drives him up the fucking wall.  

We walked to our classes, survived the day without a hitch, and started talking about what should happen at cheer practice.  The way it works is that the PE teacher comes help us once in awhile but beyond that, we’re on our own.  We needed to decide what dance we were going to do.  Should we choreograph a brand new one, or do one of last years?  Still undecided.  

Finally it came time for AP English.  Dani and I sat down and waited for class to begin.  I saw Will pick up his phone.  I felt my back pocket vibrate so I shifted to get it out.  

‘What are you doing at lunch?’ - Will

‘I have to choreograph a routine for the first pep rally/assembly of the year.’ - Me

‘Oh.  That’s a bummer.’ - Will.  I saw him quickly put his phone down on his desk and turned to face the class.  I still had my phone out on the desk when he called the class to attention.  I wasn’t paying attention and was looking down at my phone when Will turned his attention to me.  

“Ms Shay, texting in class are we?”  He asked smirking.  I could tell where this was going.

“What if I was?”  I asked, leaning back in my seat and smirking back.   

“I’d have to give you detention.”  He responded.

“And if I wasn’t?”  

“You were.”  

“Yeah, you’re right, I was.”  

“Detention.  My room.  After school.”  He said.  End of discussion.  I sighed in irritation but took out a notebook to take notes.  

At lunch, Dani and I ordered all of the new uniforms for this year and agreed that we’d do a new routine instead of one of the old ones.  We went out to the field at lunch to work on it.  We had the whole thing choreographed by the end of lunch and were excited about it.  It had all kinds of cool tricks and stuff incorporated.  Not to mention that anyone sitting in the front row of the gym would get a very nice view...  We choreographed it to Everytime We Touch  by Cascada.  Not the most original song choice, but at short notice, that’s all we could come up with.  We finished the day without any excitement.  I was just walking to the door of the school to get a ride home with Dani when she stopped me.  

“Forgetting anything?”  Dani asked wearing an amused grin on her face.  

“Well, I left my English notebook in my locker but we don’t have home-  I have detention.”  I said glumly.  I was looking forward to going home and relaxing.

“That you do.  Tell loverboy I say hi!”  Dani whispered as I walked off.  

I made it to Will’s room and hesitated before I went in.  I knocked three times as I slowly opened the door.  I looked around to find Will hunched over his desk with a pair of earbuds in his ears that were plugged into an iPod.  As I started to walk quietly to his desk I realized that doing so wasn’t necessary as I could tell that he was listening to Fall Out Boy’s Bang The Doldrums from halfway across the room.  I continued until I was standing directly behind him and waited for him to notice me.  After three minutes of waiting I bent down and blew lightly on his neck.  

He jumped so high I almost fell over.  He stood up and looked around only to find me laughing and pointing at his shocked face.  Talk about a Kodak Moment.  He looked at me and just shook his head.

“Not nice.”  He said, a smile tugging at his lips.

“Maybe not, but funny as hell.”  I responded as he picked me up and tossed me over his shoulder.  

“Funny, seeing as we’re in a classroom, I really don’t think you’re going to get very far.”  I teased.  He stopped in his tracks, appearing not to have thought of that much.  

“I suppose you’re right.  I’ll have to think of something else evil to do to you then.”  He responded, swinging me down to stand before him.  “How would you feel about washing my car?”  He asked smirking.

“Now?  So not gonna happen.  I’ll do it this weekend, with help, of course.”  I responded smiling at him.

“Now, help?  That doesn’t sound much like a punishment.”  He stated.

“Yeah, but don’t you think it’ll be way more fun than just watching?”  I asked him, pouting a little.      

“I don’t know, pretty nice view I’d have.”  He said back, sitting back down in his spinny desk chair and leaning back.  

“Though that much is true, you can’t really expect me to wash your car.  I’m allergic to working that hard.”  I said back very seriously.

“That would be the point.”  He said back, still smirking as he rested his hands behind his neck.  Desperate times calls for desperate measures.  I took off my sweater to reveal I only had on a thin, low cut white tank top.  I sauntered over to stand infront of him.  I could see a mix of confusion and desire in his eyes.  I sat on his lap, straddling him and leaned into his ear.

“Would you really make me do that?”  I whispered seductively as I started to kiss his neck, slowly working my way up to his mouth.  I kissed his lips very softly as I could tell he was still a little bit in shock.  He shook his head slowly, his eyes boring into mine.  I kissed him again, feeling his hands slide around my waist and pull me closer.  “Good.”  I whispered before kissing him again.