Chapter 19

(Shay’s Point of View)  (Friday night football game)

“We heard it through the grapevine,

that your team was mighty tough.

But when you're up against the Wildcats,

tough just ain't enough!”  All of the girls chanted as we stood in the center of the field before the start of the game.  The crowd was already excited since it was the first game of the season but once we started cheering, things got fun.  We all did pikes and toe touches, as well as synchronized hand motions like High V’s, L’s, and Punches, and the crowd whooped and cheered when I did a basket toss with a twist, and liberties.

Our team scored a touchdown and we all made a triangle with me at the point at the front of the group with our arms in a touchdown position.

“Hey, Hey,

Check out the score!

Yeah, yeah,

We want some more!

Go Wildcats!”  We chanted, Claping as we said the 'heys', fist pumping when we said the 'yeahs', and all jumping into a toe touch when we said ‘Go Wildcats’.  The crowd cheered for the football team as much as us.  Moments like this make me remember why I wanted to be a cheerleader in the first place.  

Luckily we had a good team this year so by half time we were up 32-21.  We took for the field and performed the same routine we did for the pep rally, this time doing a full twist cradle dismount off of the pyramid.  The crowd roared and we all whooped and giggled as the other team’s cheerleaders took the field.  

We all cheered our little hearts out, doing so many flips, twists, spins, and yes, hip and...chest shakes.  By the end of the game we were as sweaty as the football team was.  If I needed any reinforcement of this, I got it when Brad, the quarterback that Jere said was going to ask me out, came up to me and hugged me, like we were good friends, which we certainly were not.

“Brad, get off of me.”  I said, trying to push him off of me.

“Aw, baby, why do you want me to do that?  I think that we should get together.  Maybe tonight after the team and the cheerleaders go out for pizza.  Or right now.”  He said in what was supposed to be a seductive, trying to get me closer to him, his grip on the bare skin on my back tightening.  

“Brad, I asked nicely the first time.  Get the fuck off of me.  Now.”  I said, breaking out of his grasp, only to have my arm gripped by him.  I tried to yank my arm away but his grip tightened again, to the point where it hurt.

Jeremiah didn’t like this so when he walked off the field and saw this, he took off his helmet and tossed it onto the ground.  He stopped when he reached us and glared at Brad icily.  

“So, Brad, want to tell me what you’re doing here?”  Jeremiah asked, knowing the answer was going to be bad.

“I’m just planning an evening with a pretty girl, that’s all.”  Brad said, smiling sickly.  I tried not to gag and made slashing motions across my neck to show Jeremiah that he was just spewing shit.  As I did this, Brad gripped impossibly harder on my arm.

“Really?  Because what it looks like to me is that you’re pulling your usual crap and trying to take advantage of a pretty girl.”  Jeremiah said, looking him directly in the eye.

“Oh, so you think she’s pretty.  Can’t you go find your own piece of ass.  Clearly this one’s taken.”  Brad said smugly.  

“Fuck off, Brad.”  Jere said sharply.