Chapter 12

(Will’s Point Of View)

I woke up and ran my hand over my hair, man, I can’t believe I saw my girlfriend running down my street in the middle of the night, in her bra.  Can’t wait to hear that explanation.  I got out of bed and went for a run.  I ran the same track I saw Shay run last night, only I ran with a shirt.  I had my earbuds in and was listening to American Blues by Sparks to the Rescue then continued on to Romano Avenue and made the five mile loop around that led back to my house.  I showered and got dressed for work.  I wonder why we were in school today when all of the other schools in the district as well as the rest of the state.  Eh, just because we have to go to school doesn’t mean we have to work, at least not in my book.  That would be why I'm electing to make today a movie day in my class

(Shay’s Point of View)

I opened my eyes and started to roll over and sit up.  Why am I on the floor...in the living room?  Wait-why can’t I get up.  I looked down to see Dani and Jeremiah splayed all over me.  

“Guys?”  I said quietly, nudging Jere’s shoulder which rested on my legs with my left knee.  “Guys?”  I asked again, a little louder this time.  I looked around and saw Jeremiah’s phone laying just about two feet away.  I inched closer to it, close enough to grab it.  I turned it on and saw that it was 8:20.  Wait, 8:20?  Fuck.  “Guys!”  I screamed.  School starts at 8:30.  They began to stir as I jumped up, making Jeremiah’s head hit the floor with a loud thwack.  I armed myself with two pillows and threw one at each of them, hitting them both square in the head.

“What the hell?”  Jere asked, rubbing where his head had made contact with the floor.  Dani had also come to and was looking at me, pissed off.

“Yeah, Shay, what the hell?”  She asked.

“It’s eight fucking twenty!”  I yelled.

“Fuck.”  They both groaned in unison.  

“Yeah, that’s not good.  Now, get dressed, we’re leaving in twenty.”  I said as we all went our separate ways, attempting to find our clothes.  I scrambled upstairs and quickly ran a brush through my hair and brushed my teeth, changed into a pair of turquoise skinny jeans, a white v-neck, a black blazer-like jacket, and my black Toms wedges, and started for the stairs.  As I was walking downstairs I realized that I had put on heels and almost changed out of them, as I was not the type to wear a heel of any kind to school, but I had left them out from sometime the week before.  Oh well, too late now.  

Dani, Jere and I set foot on the pavement of Redwood High and took off in a run, already half an hour late.  We had definitely missed homeroom.  We got our stuff from our lockers and ran for our first class, which was Art History for Jere and me, something language for Dani.  

Jeremiah and I scrambled into the classroom Art History was held in and sat down.

“So, if you don’t mind my asking, where were you two?”  Mr. Kleir asked us, looking back and forth between Jere and me.

“In the womb.”  Jere quipped at her.  I smacked him upside the head and turned to Ms. Kleir.

“I was his ride to school and traffic was bad on the way to his house then bad again on the way here.”  I responded, looking her in the eye.  “So, to answer your question, we were in the car, as was Danielle Morris.”  I told her.

“Okay, because you weren’t driving I’ll let you off the hook, as well as Danielle.  Marie, I am afraid I have to give you detention after school, though I can’t say I find it necessary.  Everyone’s late once in awhile.  See me after class to get your detention slip and to discuss who you’ll be serving it with, seeing as I will not be available after school.”  She said, smiling weakly at me.  She continued on with the class, not mentioning anything further.  As the class ended I walked down to the front and waited for the room to empty.  “Alright, because I won’t be here this afternoon, is it fine if I have you serve your detention with Mr. Coleman, advanced English teacher?”  She asked me.  I pretended to look confused, as if I’d forgotten who he was but then nodded my head.