Chapter 10

(Will’s Point of View)

“No sex until she graduates?  Why would any GUY in his right mind agree to anything like that?”  Bryan yelled into the phone.  He’d been away the last week so I thought I’d check in with him.  I can’t believe this is what I get for it.

“Yeah, about that, I didn’t exactly agree to it...”  I trailed off, not wanting to have to admit it.  

“Did you do what I think you did?”  Bryan asked quietly.  Uh-oh.

“I’m afraid I did.”  I answered in the same tone he had used.

“You didn’t.”

“I did.”  

“Why?”  

“It seemed like the right thing to do to keep everybody out of trouble.”  I shrugged.

“Yeah, but you don’t think she’s a virgin do you?  And you’d use a condom right?”  He asked, still not getting my point.

“No, I don’t think that’s the case, and of course I would.  I don’t mean ‘everyone out of trouble’ like that, I mean it like, I don’t want her to get kicked off the cheerleading team or expelled.”  I said, trying to clarify.

“Wait... You scored a cheerleader?  Way to go, man.”  He said proudly.

“Yes, but that’s not the point.”  I said sighing.  People can be so dense.

“Right, you’re covering your ass.”  He said brightly.  I hadn’t thought of that.  That could be a problem.

“No, I’m covering her ass-”  He cut me off.

“Her ass that you’d rather leave uncovered...”

“I’m covering her ass, though now that you mention it, I guess I’m doing the same for myself.”  I said, ignoring his crude comment.

“Uh-huh.”  Bryan said through the phone, sounding less than convinced.  

“Alright, dude, I’m gonna go.  Believe what you want.”

“Aw, Will, don’t be like that.”

“I’m hanging up now.”

“No, don-”

“Bye”  I hung up the phone.  Bryan, Bryan, Bryan.  I got a text and almost ignored it, think it was Bryan pissed off at me for hanging up.  I’m glad I didn’t.  

‘Hey, I know you’re probably asleep, just wanted to say goodnight.’ - Shay

What was she doing up this late?  It’s almost three in the morning...it’s almost three?  I’ve gotta get to sleep earlier.  Eh, that can wait till tomorrow...I mean today.

‘Nope, I’m up.  Why are you?’ - Me

‘I’m waiting to call a friend.’ - Shay

‘At 3:00 am?  Do you really think I’m gonna buy that?’ - Me

Alright, now I’m worried.

‘Really, I have this tradition where the first night Jeremiah gets back from going on vacation I wake up at 3, call him, hang up, then go back to bed.  We’ve been friends for forever.’ - Shay

Now, that’s just weird.  Typical Shay move though.  

‘Alright, I’ll believe that.  What do you mean by ‘forever?” - Me

‘He’s been my best friend since kindergarten.  And we dated in 8th grade.’ - Shay

I’m not sure what to say to that.  I waited for a minute.