Chapter 28

(Will’s Point of View) (Friday morning, 7:00, just arriving at school)

“Ladies, you are to act naughty and snarky, that does not permit you to be naughty and snarky.  Is this clear?”  Shay bellowed at the girls.  Yikes, I wonder what they’ve done.

“Well what are you doing, because it kinda sounds like the later.  Slut.”  That girl, Kelly asked in a nasally voice, batting her eyes at me as she saw me walk in.  Gag me.

“I will not be talked to like that.  You can shape up, or you can get out.”

“I will when you do, you snarky bitch.  You’re such a whore.”  She responded, glaring at her.

“That’s it, get the fuck out of my gym.”  Shay said, pointing at the door.  When Kelly didn’t move and started to shrink a little, she smirked.  “That’s what I thought.  Now can we just do the call and response part again?”  She asked.  Everyone nodded, looking rigid with fear.  Shay really didn’t lose her temper often, but it seems like when she does, it’s bad.  She made a hand motion to the guy in the box way above who was controlling the lights and sound.  He flashed her an ‘okay’ sign and she clapped her hands and everyone got into positions, the football team lining up so that Brad was at the front of the group and the cheerleaders so that Shay was in front.

I heard a deep bass thump through the speakers then it got quieter, just the hum of the music playing.  In a scratchy voice, I heard ‘Haven’t you heard of peace on earth, and goodwill towards men?’, which the boys were mouthing, leaning towards the girls.  Then, the girls mouthed back ‘No!’ to the shrill voice playing over the speakers.  After the little call and response thing, the boys made their way off the center of the floor discretely and the girls all lined up and looked like they were going to do some cool sequence when Shay used her right hand and made a slashing motion across her neck.  The guy in the booth at the top and back of the gym cut the music and the girls scattered.

“Mr. Coleman, what time is it?”  Shay asked, turning her attention to me.  I looked at my watch.

“It is...7:45.”  I told her.  

“Great, girls, do your makeup, red lips on everyone, and you know who’s wearing hats and who’s wearing masks.  Mr. Coleman, you brought movies for the rest of the day, correct?”  She asked, placing a hand on her hip.  Damn, organized Shay is hot.

“Uh, yeah.”  I stuttered.

“Great, come with me.”  She said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me towards a door in the back of the gym.  Once she opened the door she released my wrist and as soon as it closed I pulled her back to me by her waist.  

“How’d you sneak out this morning?”  I asked while we were still in the dark, Shay not reaching to turn on the lights yet.

“It really wasn’t that hard.”  She said.  I could hear the slight smile in her voice as she relaxed into my chest.

“Well, have you eaten today?”  I asked her.  I’ve taken it upon myself to make sure she’s eating.

“Not yet.  I can’t eat before the routine today.  Whatever I get down will be coming right back up.”  She said, her body tensing.  I sighed.

“Right after, okay?”

“Right after.”  

“What happened with Kelly?”  I asked her gently.  I felt her tense even more, her whole body starting to shake because she was so tense.  “Shay, relax, everything’s fine.”  I said to her, trying to calm her down.  She turned around and buried her face in my chest.