Chapter 25

(Will’s Point of View)

“Shay, what?”  I asked.  I was really enjoying this and was planning on just ignoring whoever was at the door.  If it’s that important, they can come back later.

“Will, look who’s at the door.”

I turned around so I was facing the door, hearing Shay scramble up the stairs.  I looked through the small window near the top of my wooden door and saw the exact last person I wanted to see.  Beth Bonzell.  Awesome, just fucking awesome.

I walked down the few stairs I had made it up and looked around for my shirt.  I saw it and lunged to put it on.  Last thing I need is to give her of all people the wrong impression.  I fixed my hair and walked towards the door.  I don’t want to do this.  I don’t want to do this.  I don’t want to do this.

“Evening, Beth.  Is there anything I can do for you?”  I asked, trying not to sound too impatient.  

“Oh... um...I need some...sugar!”  She responded, sounding proud to have come up with something.  

“Okay...let me go get you some...”  I said slowly as I started to turn around.

“Well, you’re going to let me in, aren’t you?”  She asked, almost frantically.

“Um...sure?”  I said, accidentally phrasing it like a question.  As soon as I said it she rushed in past me.  I followed behind her and almost ran into her when she stopped at the entrance to my living room and looked at the floor.  That’s great, guess what’s on the floor.  Shay’s shirt.  Fantastic.

“Do you have company?”

“Uh...yes.  My girlfriend April is upstairs...”

“Really?  I’d love to meet her!”  Great, this is just what I need.

“Uh...Under any other circumstances I’d say that’s a great idea, but today’s a bad idea.”  I said.  Shit, why can I tell her it’s a bad idea.

“Oh, did something happen?”  No, not yet, at least.

“Um, yeah.  Just something personal.  I can’t really tell you.  It’s not my story to tell.”  There, that sounds respectful.  And rational.  Yay!

“Oh...okay.  Well...”

“Sugar.  Let me get that for you.”  I said, quickly changing the subject and walking into the kitchen and going to the cabinet where I kept the sugar, flour, and other baking stuff.  I pulled out the sugar and grabbed a container from the drawer I kept them in and dumped a decent amount of the sugar into it.  I put a lid on it and slid it across the counter to Beth.  

“Oh my God, thank you!”

“Sure, now if you don’t mind, I have to go tend to Sh-April.  I’ll see you back at school.”  I said as I ushered her to the door.  I got to the door and opened it for her from behind when she turned around to face me.

“Night, handsome.”  She said in what I assumed was intended as an alluring tone.  It was not perceived that way.  She leaned in and gave me a big, wet kiss on the cheek, then walked out the door.  Gross.

I walked up the stairs with what must have been quite a strange expression on my face because Shay, who had changed into one of my shirts and a pair of my boxers, looked at me funny.

“What?”

“Why do you have lipstick on your cheek?”  She asked in an eerily calm voice, still stroking Quincy, who she sat next to on the floor.