Chapter 26

(Will’s Point of View)

“Ah, Will, just the person I was looking for.”  Mark, the cheerleading coach said to me as I was walking out of my classroom, locking the door.  I was leaving early because I didn’t have a class after the one before lunch, so I thought I’d head home and spend some quality time doing nothing, and mourning over how much I hate today, October 21.

“Is there something I can help you with?”  I asked him, not really having any interest in helping someone as sleazy as him, on a day as shitty as this one.

“I was wondering if you would accompany one of my girls who is leaving early to pick up a few things for the team.  It seems as though you two are already familiar with each other.”  He told me, smirking.  I really don’t like this guy.

“Uh, yeah, sure.  Who is it and where are we going?”

“I was hoping you would go shopping with Shay for things for the Halloween assembly.  The cheerleaders are doing a big number and we’re in charge of getting decorations every year.”  He said, still wearing that ugly-ass smirk.  Right then I decided that because it’s Shay, I’d try to ignore the misfortune of today existing.

“Oh, sure.  When do we leave and when should she be back by?”

“Well, that’s just it.  I wanted you to supervise her because I noticed in the school’s directory that you two live close to each other and because the whole trip will take until at least the end of school so I was hoping you could just drop her by her house after.”  

“That sounds fine.  Does she know where to meet me?”

“She knows where to meet you, but I hadn’t told her who’d be going with her, so I’ll let you do that.  You’ll find her out at the front of the school, and here’s the money for things, taken from the cheerleading budget.”  He told me, handing me an envelope.

“Right.  Thanks.  I guess I’ll be on my way.”  I told him, turning and walking to the front.

(Shay’s Point of View)

I was sitting out front, waiting for whatever teacher I was going shopping with for stuff for the Halloween assembly when Will walked out, carrying a white envelope in one hand, a briefcase with a shoulder strap slung over his shoulder.

“Going somewhere?”  I asked him dryly.  I thought we were going shopping together after school but it turns out Coach wanted a teacher with me and because my grades are fine, he said I should do it during school hours.

“Yup, and you’re coming with me.”  He said, offering me a hand to help me up.  I just look at his hand so he dropped it back to his side.

“I would love to, but I’m waiting for some teacher to come take me so I can go shop for the stuff for next Friday.”

“I know that.  I’m that teacher.”  He said, offering me his hand again.  I took hold of it and let him hoist me up to my feet.  

“Great.  How do we want to do this, because I drove here this morning...”  I stated.  I’m not sure how this is supposed to work.  Every other year I've went by myself or with another cheerleader, never with a teacher.  Let alone one I'm dating.

“Hm, well, my car is bigger than yours so why don’t you leave yours here and we can take mine, then I’ll just give you a ride here tomorrow morning.”  He said.  I thought about if for a second, then nodded slowly.

“Yeah, that’ll work.”  I agreed.  We walked to his car, him opening the passenger door for me then walking around to the other side and hopping inside.  Once he started the car he handed me the envelope in his hand.