Chapter 32

(Shay’s Point of View)

“It was priceless, Mrs. Bonzell walked in and I dissed her, then left Will there with her all alone.  You shoulda seen his face as I left.”  I laughed as Dani and I talked on the phone.  I wanted to tell her about the run in with Mrs. Bonzell at lunch, but there were people around so I decided I’d wait until I got home.  She laughed because she knew how much I hated Mrs. Bonzell and how uncomfortable she made Will.  

“That’s awesome.  You better hope he’s not too pissed.”  She joked.  Will’s like a puppy, his attention span is way too short to stay mad at anyone for more than about twenty minutes.

“You know Will, it’s not possible for him to be mad at anyone for any great length of time.”  I told her as I doused the flour covered chicken breasts in my hands in bread crumbs after brushing a little egg over them to make the bread crumbs stick.  Will and I had kinda been taking turns spending the night at each other’s houses pretty much ever since my parents left the first time and he was due here tonight.  You have no idea how strange it was sleeping alone while my parents were home.  

“I do get that sense from him.”  She agreed.  

“Oh, that reminds me, I still have to order those tic-”  The front door opened.  “Tic-tacs!  I need to order tic-tacs!”  I yelled.  Will walked in the kitchen looking at me like I just told him I was getting a sex change.

“You need to order tic-tacs?”  Both Dani and Will asked, Dani over the phone, Will in front of me.  

“Uh...yeah...I need tic-tacs.”  I muttered.  Stupid, stupid, stupid.  

“He just walked in the door, didn’t he?”  Dani asked.  Smart girl.

“Uh-huh.”  I said quietly.

“Do you want me to order them and have them shipped to your house?”  Dani asked.  That’s a really good idea.

“And I could write you a check or give you cash for them?”  I asked her.

“Yeah, that’s fine.  I’ll find them tonight.  You’re sure they’re touring, right?”  She asked.

“Pretty sure.  Just...look up the keywords that make sense and I assure you you’ll find the tic-tacs.”  I told her, struggling to have the conversation with Dani without giving it away to Will.  Will continued to look at me the same way he was before, in other words, like I was crazy.  I just smiled at him.

“Will do.  I’ll text you if I get them.”  Dani said.

“Thanks a bunch.  Love you.”

“Love you too.”  She said and then hung up.  God, yet another person that doesn’t say goodbye on the phone.  What is with that?

“I swear, nobody ever says goodbye on the phone anymore.”  I muttered as I walked over to Will and reached up to kiss him.  He kissed me back, then when I pulled back gave me a funny look.

“Do you really have to order tic-tacs?  I could just run out and pick up some for you.”  Will said, just smiling at me.

“Uh, there’s this...flavor that...you can’t get in a store?”  I said, making it up on the spot.  

“Right, okay.  So, is that dinner I see there?”  He asked.  I looked at the bowl and chicken breasts on the kitchen counter.

“Oh, yeah, it is.  I’d ask you to help, but I remember what happened the last time we cooked together.”  I reminded him of the caramel apple incident.  So much caramel and chocolate...