Run in with Old Friends

After finishing up our lunch my mother asked me to take food to my dad who was working with the Hokage. Excited to see my dad I happily agreed to grab the packaged food and made my way towards the Academy to the Hokage's office.

     As I walked towards the Academy I quickly took note that not a whole lot had changed. The same shops are still out, and I have even spotted some familiar faces here and there. Still, something was missing...

     "Shizuka?" A familiar voice called out. Curious to see who I quickly turned my attention towards the direction the voices came from coming face to face with...

     "Kurenai?Asuma?" I questioned cautiously not exactly knowing the terms we were in. As if realizing that it was actually me both of them approached me. Quickly expecting to be screamed at or worse I shut my eyes tightly ready for what was to come, but instead, I was greeted with a warm hug. Slowly peeling my eyes open I see Asuma sending me a warm smile and that it was Kurenai who had me in her arms.

     "Oh I'm so glad you're safe," she whispered into my ear followed by a breath of relief. Happy to see she wasn't mad I quickly returned the hug to the best of my ability since I was carrying food in my hands.

     "I thought you guys were still mad at me. I mean none of you guys showed up to say bye..." I stated teary-eyed remembering the night I left.

     "I know and we are so sorry," Kurenai replied looking down. "We wanted to say bye but we couldn't face you before going off on that mission."

     "Actually Ka-" Asuma started off only to be elbowed by Kurenai. "I mean we heard the mission turned out more difficult than expected." Kurenai still didn't seem happy with his comment but turned to me waiting for a response.

   "It was harder than we anticipated," I sighed glancing down. "Luckily my team made it out but other teams from other nations weren't as lucky."

     "Well I'm glad you're safe and home," Asuma stated before bringing me into another quick hug as Asuma grabbed onto my shoulder. "We should all hang out soon like we've used to. You know for old times sake."

     "Yes it's been a while and it would definitely do us all good," Kurenai agreed. "Don't worry the others aren't mad just worried," she continued seeing my hesitant response.

      "Um sure... sounds like a plan just let me know and I'll gladly join," I finally agreed. "I have to head out now and deliver this food to my dad, bye see you around!"

     "Bye!" They responded as I continued my journey. Feeling more like myself after the quick run-in with Kurenai and Asuma I happily walked down the streets as they seemed more welcoming.

-----

     "Anything else?" I heard the Third Hokage ask my dad from behind the wooden door.

     "No the rest of the nation's have been pretty calm," my dad answered sounding a bit suspicious.

     "I see... well there isn't much we could do but raise our protection on our borders. Let's bring this up at the next meeting," the Hokage stated followed by the sound of footsteps leading towards the door. Quickly I tried to move out of the way and hide before it was too late. As the Hokage stepped out of the office he saw me trying to hide against the wall next to the door and he understood I wanted to surprise my dad. With a small nod, he smiled at me and continued his way down the hall. 'I'll have to thank him later!'

     Clutching the packed food towards my chest I let out some slow quiet breathes. Hesitantly detaching myself from the wall I peeked into the office seeing my dad's back towards me as he was fixing some documents into a folder. Realizing this was my chance I put the food down inside next to the door and quietly tried to tiptoe my way behind him. Just as I was ready to jump on his back I somehow managed to trip on a pile of books.