Breaking the News

As I was continuing my journey I slowly realized I had committed a mistake. 'Maybe I should have let Kakashi come along with me...' My palms were getting sweaty and my face was burning hot from how nervous I was. As I approached the ANBU headquarters I looked up at the tall intimidating building which only caused my stomach to drop even more. 'Come on Shizuka you can do it. This is something you have to do by yourself.' Letting out slow deep breaths I slowly brought up the courage to enter. 'It's now or never...'

     Entering the building it was as busy as ever. There was movement in every direction and a constant buzzing of conversation happening all around. Most people wore their ANBU mask as well which was covering their identity. The ANBU life was a dangerous one so it was important to hide your identity. The light gray walls surrounding the whole building was the only thing giving me comfort from the rest of the intimidating aura.

     Walking up the stairs I made my way to the third floor where I knew Eiji would be. Even when we have no missions Eiji as a captain still had a lot of responsibilities to complete so most days you can find him in the 'Briefing Room' where our missions are handed and explained to us.

     Rounding the corner of the hallway I then made my way towards the last door on the right where a sign reading 'Briefing Room' was screwed to the wooden surface. 'Please be understanding Eiji...'

     Opening the door I stepped into the room noticing Eiji sitting at the round table in his usual seat. He's eyes where directed to the papers in his hand but the distinct look in his eyes told me he wasn't really reading at the information but merely just staring at the papers. I also noticed the tense grip he had on the papers which slightly crumbling up the sides.

     "Oh hey Shizuka what brings you here?" Eiji asked finally noticing my presence but still, he kept his gaze on the papers.

     "Oh well um..." I started looking at his tense hands that were crumbling the paper. "never mind you look busy right now.  I'll just come by later or maybe even tomorrow," I finished off nervously slowly shuffled my way back towards the door.

    'Oh my does he already know why I'm coming here for? Could that be why he seems tense?'

     Confused at my attitude Eiji turned his gaze towards me. Noticing my wary look directed at his hands he slowly realizes what he was doing letting out a surprised reaction. It seems like he wasn't aware of how tight he was actually holding the paper. "Oh my bad Shizuka," he nervously chuckled trying to unwrinkle the papers on the table.

     "That's quite alright," I laughed slightly trying to ease the mood. Seeing as he might still not know my reason for being here I relaxed a little taking the seat right across from him.

     "So what brings you here? Is the mission still bothering you?" he asked with a concerned stare.

     "Well yes but that's not the reason I'm here..." I sighed bringing me to gaze down towards the brown rounded table. The small white scratches on the surface seemed more interesting now...

     "So what seems to be on your mind?"

     "I asked the Hokage to release me from my ANBU position," I mumbled while shifting on my seat.

     "Come again?"

     Even though I did mumble my previous statement I knew he had heard me. Eiji has the sharpest ears I've ever seen catching even the smallest whispers in a vast crowd. Bringing my gaze back up I meet his warm yet authoritative gaze.

     "I'm no longer part of the ANBU," I responded a little clearer and louder. "Please don't be disappointed in me. I really did enjoy and found so much honor being under your guidance and supervision. I learned a lot as a shinobi but also about myself and I realized that ANBU isn't the place I want to be. At least not now," I confessed.

     Still holding on to my gaze Eiji kept quiet leaning closely from his seat. Even if he was only quiet for a few seconds it felt like ages as I waited for a response.

     "Please say something, anything. You can even scream at me for all I care just don't keep quiet. It's killing me," I continued.

     "Shizuka," he started a few moments later before slowly being his face up to meet my gaze. "I'm not mad I'm actually quite proud of you," he confessed with a slight smile which only confused me even more.

     "Proud?" I questioned him as he stood up from his seat walking to my side of the roundtable. "Are you toying with me?"

     "No I'm serious," he reassured me sitting on the table. "As you said Shizuka I am- well was your supervisor and I would like to say I'm pretty good at my job so reading you wasn't too difficult. I would have had to be an idiot for me not to notice your change in attitude. Especially in this last year. I guess you can say I saw this coming. I was just waiting for how long it would have taken you to notice and to convince yourself of what was the right thing to do," he continued when he saw my confused expression on my face.

     "I'm that easy to read huh?" I chuckled trying to ignore the burning feeling behind my eyes.

     "Aww come on don't cry now," Eiji cooed resting his hand on my shoulder. "Don't tell me, you miss me already?"

     "Of course not," I replied sniffling as I wiped the tears away. Still, my vision kept getting blurry from the new set of tears that emerged.

     "Save those tears Shizuka," Eiji began. "You don't have to worry if you ever need anything I will still be there for you. You know where you can find me."

"Thank you so much, Eiji," I gratefully thanked as I was slowly being brought into a comforting hug.

"No problem Shizuka..." Eiji began as he slowly released me from the hug. "Now for the rest of the team," he finished off before turning me around only to be faced with a teary-eyed Kazumi and Akihiro.

"Shizuka please please don't leave me," Kazumi cried out as she lunged her self onto me to give me a hug.

Quickly and tightly I brought my arms up to return the hug as ones again my eyes filled with tears. "I'm so s-sorry Kazumi but I have to," I began as a ball of guilt seemed to form inside my throat, "the ANBU just isn't right for me anymore... not now."

Slowly Kazumi released herself from me whipping away her tears. "I understand," she quietly whispered before grabbing my hands holding them between us. "Remember if you ever need anything and I mean anything please don't hesitate to come to me-"

"Or me!" Akihiro called out interrupting Kazumi. "We can all still hang out with each other when we are on between missions," he suggested coming close to us two while placing a comforting hand on my shoulder and wrapping his arm around Kazumi.

'They are perfect for each other...'

"Thank you all for being so supportive," I began smiling at my now-former team. "Don't forget you guys can also count on me for any help as well."

~~~~~
Well, Shizuka is now officially not part of the team anymore... what did you guys think about this chapter? Please comment any helpful criticism or suggestion!
Thank you for taking your time to read my story. I know it might not be the best one in wattpad but I'm working on getting better.

*i do not own the fan art