Troublesome

After Kakashi walked me back home I thanked him and offered him to stay for dinner but he declined while stating that we could catch up later seeing as this would be my first family dinner since the mission. Sadly I sighed but thanked him again while 'threatening' him to promise me that we would hang out soon.

During our walk, I tried to get the reason why he was sorry out of him but I got none. 'Maybe he was just sorry for not saying goodbye to me...'

"You seemed pretty happy when that young man Kakashi dropped you off," my mom teased from across the table as we were having tea.

"I'm just happy to be back home and being able to talk to old friends that's all," I stated shrugging. 'Kakashi and I have been friends forever! Plus he doesn't seem like he's interested in anyone.'

"Mmhm honey whatever you say..."

"Mom!"

"Alright alright I believe you I'm just teasing," my mom laughed bringing her mug towards her lips. "Can't deny you guys would have beautiful children..."

"Oh god," I whispered feeling my face get hot.

Glancing at me once more with a pair of knowing eyes my mom got up from her seat ready to start making the dinner. "Come help me in the kitchen once you've cooled down honey."

-----

After helping my mom cook dinner, which again was one of my favorite dishes, I decided I wanted to surprise my little brother and pick him up. So now I'm making my way up some stairs towards his 'cloud watching place' as my mom put it. I know Choji isn't there with him right now since I just saw him and his father coming down just a few moments ago. 'I'm really glad Shikamaru became close friends with him... they seem to understand one another.'

Quietly I unlocked the door that leads to the roof and cautiously made my way towards where Shikamaru was laying down staring up towards the clouds. He seemed to be pretty deep in his thoughts. 'Oh Shikamaru what do you find so interesting in clouds? I never understood.' Slowly once I was right beside him but hiding at the side of the platform I brought my hands forwards catching him by surprise as I hugged him sideways.

"What who i-" Shikamaru began only to cut himself off as he saw it was me. "Shizuka?!"

"Hey Shikamaru," I whispered into his ear as he turned himself to give me a proper hug. Feeling his shoulders starting to shake I decided I would talk more, "wow you've gotten so big," I continued as tears fell down my face as well.

"I-I've missed you so much Shizuka,"Shikamaru cried into my shoulder as I brought him closer.

"I've missed y-you more."

After a while with him in my arms, I started to slowly pull him away to get a better look at his face. My attention directing onto his ears where he wore our father's earring. Soon he will become a chunin and he will get his own earrings. 'Wow he has really grown up in the last two years...' Shikamaru was lazy sure I'll give you that but he was also the most clever person I know. He took after our father while I got more of my mother's attitude. I'm not the most patient person out there.

"How did the mission go?" He questioned slowly looking at my scar.

"The mission?" I began looking into his eyes which held something that I couldn't quite place. "It went great," I responded still lost in his eyes trying to figure out what emotion he held in so deeply.

"Come on let's go home," I quickly stated while getting up holding onto his hand. "Mom won't want us to be late for dinner."

"Uh I don't need you to hold onto my hand," he sweatdropped struggling to release my hold.

"Come on I haven't seen you for two years," I pointed out. "I'm going to hold your hand whether you like it or not,"I giggle pulling on his cheeks. "You're still my baby brother after all."

"How troublesome," he complained dragging his feet as I pulled him down the streets of Konoha. But even I could tell that under that 'frown' he was happy.

-----

As we walked into the house our parents were already setting up the dinner table only looking up to the sound of the door. Their stare stayed lingering on me a little longer as if they were trying to confirm and make sure that I was actually home and that they weren't just dreaming.

"Okay kids go wash up and come down for dinner," my mom urged as she walked into the kitchen to get the food.

"It's your favorite," my dad added smiling in my direction. I wonder how my parents feel knowing that we are all together once again.

"Okay," we responded going to the restroom to wash our hands. As we made our way back to the table we quietly sat down with my parents on one side and my brother and me on the other. We shared our thanks for the food and began digging into the delicious miso soup.

Halfway through my dish, I paused staring at the scene in front of me. My mother and father were having a moment while my brother had decided it wasn't appropriate and gagged causing all of us to laugh. Bring my little brother into a side hug I 'protected' him from the sight.

'It feels good to finally be back home...'

~~~~~
Hello, everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if there is anything I could fix let me know, please.