A Shadow in Darkness

The preliminary round was finally over after many unexpected occurrences. First and for most Sasuke was able to maintain his control for most of his battle before Kakashi had to take him back to seal the curse mark. Sakura and Ino ended on a tie while Shikamaru was able to defeat his opponent Kin who used needles and bells as her main weapons. Shikamaru did end up with three injuries but managed to outsmart Kin and took full advantage of the situation which I believe really is what will help him go far. Naruto was also able to beat his opponent Kiba with a shocking but not surprising incident... letting out gas. Neji and Hinata had a very emotionally invested fight where Naruto promised to beat Neji for Hinata which brought the poor girl into a burning hot blush.

The ninth match was between Lee and Gaara which escalated too quickly for my comfort. One second it seemed like Lee was getting the upper hand before he had to be taken to the emergency room by Guy. It was a very chilling moment, one that ones again enforces my idea that the kids are growing up way to fast in this ninja runned world.
'I have to keep an eye out for Shikamaru... I have to protect him.'

"The final round is where each one of you will show your battle skills in front of everyone," Lord Third's voice echoed around the room as we stood in front of the genin. "Accordingly, the final round will commence one month from now."

After a few complaints about the time spam, which mainly came from Naruto, Lord Third was able to finish his announcement and had all the genin pick a number from one through nine to figure out the pairings. My heart dropped after seeing Sasuke's name next to Gaara's. Even though I was glad it wasn't Shikamaru's I still didn't want any of my kids getting hurt...

------

Before Shikamaru and I left home I helped him dress his wounds mainly for mom's sake. Heaven knows she'll be all anxious before going off about how his relaxed attitude is what caused him his injuries.

"I'm proud of you," I stated as we walked down the streets of Konoha. "It was a shaky beginning but you didn't let it throw you off and managed to outsmart her."

"Pure luck," he shrugged as he walked alongside me with his hands in his pockets.

"Oh come on!" I proclaimed rolling my eyes. "She was distracted for a split second and you acted pretty damn quick. Luck isn't even half of it."

"Ya ya and now I have to prepare for the final round," he huffed out lazily.

"I guess we got some training to do then," I concluded with a small shrug.

"What a drag."

--------

That night after dinner with my family Kakashi came over and asked me out to a small chat.

"Why do I have a feeling there is no good news today," I sighed stepping out into the porch and closing my front door behind me. Looking up into his eyes I noticed slight distress in them. "D-does this have to do with... Orochimaru?" I whispered as I approached him with arms tucked.

"Yes," he confirmed as he scanned my now dark and empty street. "When I went to check on Sasuke earlier today all the ANBU guarding his room were taken out and Kabuto was inside. It looked like he was going to kill him if I didn't arrive when I did."

"What?," I whispered out harshly. "How can- how is that even possible? He took out all of them?"

"Yes without even breaking a sweat," Kakashi sighed out as he dragged his hand over his face. "He even used the Dead Soul Jutsu."

"Wait why does Kabuto sound so familiar?" I questioned as the answer laid on the tip of my tongue. "I swear I've heard that name before."

"Well, it turns out that he's the adopted son of the chief of the medical corps," Kakashi briefly answered as he and I took a seat on the porch steps.

"Wow just our luck," I sarcastically sighed out. "It seems like Orochimaru really is taken full advantage of his abilities... but wait I'm just so confused," I admitted. "Doesn't O-Orochimaru want Sasuke? Why kill him?"

"A test perhaps?" Kakashi offered stumped as well. Quickly nausea took over me as I tried ignoring the memories. "Are you okay Shizuka?"

"Ya I'm f-fine just really worried," I chocked out. "We have to be prepared for anything and everything. Who knows who else is under his control."

Soon our conversation died out and we both remained quiet letting our minds wander. The only sounds that fell between us were the sound of crickets that ever so often caught me off guard.

"Shizuka," Kakashi whispered breaking the chilling silence in the crisp cool night. "You know you can count on me for anything right?"

"Ya, why do you ask?" I questioned shooting him a confused glance.

"I guess it just feels like you're hiding something from me," Kakashi confessed returning my glance with a concerned one. "Ever since it was discovered that Lord Orochimaru got involved with the exams."

"Oh," I responded back while I stumbling stood from my sitting position. "N-no everything is f-fine. If I ever need anything trust you'll be the first to know. Anyways goodnight Kakashi I'll see you tomorrow okay? Get home safely," I concluded as I made my way up to my front door.

"Wait-," Kakashi hurried out as he turned to grab a hold of my arm. "I've known you for a long time to know when you're holding something back," he began as he pulled me closer to him. "I also know that pressuring you to tell me won't help because you're as stubborn as they come. So I'll say it ones again... if you ever need anything I'm here for you."

"...Okay," I chocked out with a small nod of my head.

"Goodnight Shizuka," he bid his farewell as he stepped down from my porch.

"Goodnight Kakashi," I whispered back as I saw his retreating figure descend into the dark and empty street.

~~~~~~~~~

Hello lovely readers!! Thank you for taking the time to read my story. It means a lot! Please don't forget to comment and leave any constructive criticism!

*forgive me if Kakashi seems a bit out of character