The Chunnin Exams

Today started off as any normal day would. I woke up, got ready, helped my mom make breakfast, ate and then headed off to work. None of the teams had any difficult missions today so they all called it a day almost as soon as the day had started. Seeing as today was a short shift, which doesn't come really often, I decided it was a good idea just to take a walk around the village.

     The sun shined proudly as the wind softly blew swaying the tree branches. The air held the sweet smell of the flowery season which brought a small curt smile on my lips.
     'It's such a wonderful day today! I wonder if Kurenai is busy right now...'

     Making my way through the crowded Konoha streets I kept a lookout for my raven-haired friend. Rounding the corner away from the crowd surprisingly I spotted her coming out from the direction of the training grounds.
     'She kept her team back for some light training...'

     "Hey, Kurenai!" I cheerfully exclaimed as I made my way towards her.

     "Hello, Shizuka!" Kurenai called back with a gentle smile. "How is your day so far?"

     "My day is wonderful," I replied back directing my gaze quickly to the chirping birds perched on a branch.

     "It is a pretty nice day today," Kurenai agreed as she too took note of the beautiful scenery.

"Hey, do you want to go get some-" I began only to be cut short by the sound of wings flapping against the wind.

Turning our gaze up towards the sky we spotted the Hokage's patchy patterned brown hawk circling over our heads.
'I wonder...'

"Looks like the Hokage is summoning us all," Kurenai commented as she turned her gaze back towards me. "Let's go see what's up."

Meeting her gaze I gave her a small nod before we made our way towards the Hokage's office.

------

     "I have summoned you all for a very important purpose," The Hokage announced after all the shinobi had filed into his office. "Seeing your fellow jounin here I'm sure some of you have already figured out what this is about."

     "So soon?" Kakashi questioned casually. "I thought we would have more time."

     "I take it that all the other lands have been notified about the upcoming event," Asuma pitched in with his cigar in mouth. "I've noticed some of their genins have already arrived."

     "When do we begin?" Kurenai asked from her place next to me.

     "We will begin in one week," the Hokage stated unfazed unlike the rest of us.

     "That's such a short notice..." I wearily whispered only loud enough for Kurenai to hear me. By the look on her face as well as Kakashi's, Guy's and Asuma's it seems like I wasn't the only one thinking that.

     "In exactly seven days," the Hokage began quickly after releasing another puff of smoke from his pipe, "the genin will be gathered and tested until only the very best will be selected as chunnin."

     Soon the room was filled with the buzz of whispers coming from the jounin.
     'Which teams will be recommended?'

     "Alright," the Hokage called out quieting the room, "it's time we chose our candidates for the chunnin exams. To begin will those in charge of the rookie genin step forward."

     With that being said Asuma, Kakashi, and Kurenai all made their way forward towards the Hokage.

     "Is there anyone in your squads that you would recommend to participate in the Chunnin exams?" The Hokage questioned them as they stopped a few feet from his desk.