Sensei

As soon as I told my silvered haired friend about my decision he quickly dragged me towards the Hokage's office.

     "Don't worry Shizuka," Kakashi began. "I'll do everything I can to convince the Hokage to allow you to quit the ANBU."

     "Thank you," I responded nervously. My palms were sweating and the room seemed to grow hotter and hotter. 'What if he says no? Or worse disowns me for not wanting to take care of the village! No... he's not like that calm down the third is very understanding.'

     Quietly we approached the door leading towards the Hokage's office. The door which usually looked very welcoming, because of its wooden frame, now looked very intimidating. The brownish color looking a little bit redder this time around. Turning towards me sensing my discomfort Kakashi gave me a quick reassuring nod before knocking on the wooden door.

     'This is it Shizuka. No turning back now...'

    A soft yet authoritative 'come in' heard from the other side of the door. With slow movements, I leaned forward to open the door walking inside closely followed by Kakashi.

     "Good afternoon Lord Third," Kakashi and I greeted bowing as a form of respect.

     "What a surprise... hello Shizuka, Kakashi," the Third began giving each of us an acknowledging nod. "What bring you both here today?"

    "Shizuka recently expressed to me a dilemma she has come across..." Kakashi started off. Slightly nudging me on my shoulder urging me to step forward.

     "What might be your problem Shizuka maybe I can provide some assistance."

     "Well... for starters, I just want to make it clear that I am a proud shinobi. As long as I am here I will always do everything in my power to protect this village," I started off determinedly. It was true this village holds so many beautiful memories and it's where the people I love reside in. After receiving a small smile from the Third I took that as my cue to continue. "Since completing my recent mission I have been questioning if fighting across the border is the right approach for peace. I mean if you can win a battle before it even begins isn't that the best way?"

    "What would you consider winning a battle before it begins?"

     "What I mean is what is we help the people that have a battle within themselves? What if we help direct them in the right direction before they choose an immoral path?"

     "What is it exactly your asking of me Shizuka?" The Third questioned. All throughout my small speech he held a very small smile almost like he already knew what I was going to say since even before I started to talk. Was he just looking for confirmation?

     "I want to ask you to please release me from my position in the ANBU and-"

     "Try to give you a position as a sensei correct?" The Third interrupted as he stood up from his chair. "Shizuka have you ever heard about the will of fire?"

     "The will of fire? I don't believe I have," I answered truthfully.

     "That phrase was derived from the belief that love is the key to peace," the Third continued looking out the window watching the villagers. "Every shinobi of Konoha with the Will of Fire in them loves, cherishes, and will fight to protect the village as previous generations have done before. This is what gives Konohagakure shinobi the strength to continue fighting against all odds. It also symbolizes the hopes and dreams of previous generations being passed to the next... Shizuka?"

     "Yes?"

     "There is no mistake that you are a very talented shinobi and you can offer a lot of wisdom to this next generation but I can also see that you still have lots to learn as well."

     "I understand," I admitted directing my gaze towards the floor. I know I have a lot of flaws as a Shinobi. For starters even though I was in the ANBU it was always a little difficult for me to conceal my emotions. Most decisions I've made that have had the worst outcome were based on my emotions. I have gotten scolded multiple times by my team captain.

     "Still I can't help to think that maybe you can learn from these future shinobi," Lord Third started off bringing a smile to my face.

     "Yes of course," I agreed excitedly just before my happiness got crushed again.

     "Sadly all positions for sensei are taken since we have already picked the jounin based on the number of kids who have passed. As of now, we are actually short by one," The Third confessed. Upon seeing the look on my face he gave me a look implying that I would have to wait until I got home to find out if Shikamaru passed or not.

     'They are short by one in order to have complete squads!?'

     "Lord Third if I may add in an input," Kakashi began pausing for a quick moment waiting for the approval of the Hokage. "Like you mentioned before Shizuka has lots to learn still and it would be best for her to learn with this next generation. I'm suggesting that she should be able to move from squad to squad in order to learn something from everyone," he quickly summed up at the end upon seeing the confused look on my face.

     "Please explain more," the Third commented just as equally as confused as I.

     "S-Since Shizuka will be under the watch of the currently assigned senseis so she isn't required to have a team of her own," Kakashi spilled out all flustered seeing as both the Hokage and I weren't understanding his point.

      "Mhmm that does make sense..." the Third agreed deep in thought.

     'Thank you, Kakashi!' I mentally cheered.

     "Okay Shizuka I will allow you to be an extra addition to all of the squads from time to time but your assistance in one team will be more prioritized in order to keep some sort of order."

     "Hai Lord Third! Thank you so much," I happily agreed bowing as a form of gratitude.

     "Your welcome but Shizuka I do have a task for you..." the Third began bringing down the front brim of his hat over his eyes.

"What might that be Lord Third?"

"I want you to find out who a great Shinobi fights for."

------

     "Would you like me to come with you when you go to the ANBU headquarters?" Kakashi asked me as he walked me back home. Even after his flustered state at the Hokage's office, he resumed his laid-back persona ones again. Walking with long slow strides with one hand in his pocket he held his copy of the 'Itcha Itcha' book in the other.

     'I wonder what Jiraya is doing these days...'

     "No that's fine," I began. "You've helped me so much already. Thank you again for everything you have done for me. If it wasn't for you maybe I wouldn't have been able to become a sensei," I gratefully thanked.

"Don't mention it."

Currently, we were walking to the ANBU headquarters since I find it better to just get it over with. It will be easier if I think about it less so I've decided to let Eiji know about the change as soon as possible."Well, I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow."

     "Bye Shizuka."

     "Goodbye Kakashi."

~~~~
This chapter needs a lot more 'show, don't tell' so don't worry I am going to go back and fix this chapter soon before I post the next one. If there is anything else I could fix please let me know! Things may not make a whole lot of sense right now but it will eventually clear up in the next chapters to come.
Thank you for reading my story it means a lot to me that people are actually enjoying my work!

*i do not own the fan art