Team Assigned

Today is the day. Today we get assigned which team we will be leading throughout their journey of becoming chunin and then jounin. I have already informed my parents about quitting the ANBU and becoming a jounin and let's just say they were more than thrilled when I delivered the news. Not that they weren't proud of me protecting the village but they were afraid of the dangers that came with being part of the ANBU. Shikamaru is the only one who doesn't know the news yet and I'm hoping I will be assigned to his squad so that I can watch over him. Hopefully, he isn't too embarrassed by me if I am assigned to his team.

     After finishing up getting ready and using the bathroom I headed downstairs to enjoy breakfast with my family. As I walked into the kitchen the delicious smell of steamy miso soup and rice quickly filled the air making my mouth water.

     "Are you excited for today Shikamaru?" I heard my mother's delicate voice ask my little brother.

     "I guess I am," my brother answered shrugging.

     "Aww come one Shikamaru you don't have to hide your excitement from us," I teased taking a seat next to him. Shikamaru just like a few others chooses to put there headband wrapped around his arm instead of on his head. "Who would you want to have on your team?"

     "Having Choji by my side wouldn't be that bad I guess," he confessed, something tells me that he will have Choji on his team as well as Ino in order to form the famous Ino-Shika-Cho trio our dad was a part of.

     "Ya that would be good I can see you guys working great together," I agreed as I helped my mom place the plates on the table. We were just waiting for my dad to come in so we can start eating.

     "Good morning everyone," my dad announced in his rough raspy voice as he walked into the kitchen.

     "Good morning," we all called back.

     Ones my dad took his seat next to my mom we quietly said our thanks for our food and dug in. My mom's white rice and miso soup are always so delicious.

     "Today is your big day Shikamaru," my dad mentioned quickly looking up from his breakfast towards my brother.

     "I suppose," Shikamaru shrugged as he moved his food around in the bowl. After that, the conversation pretty much died down and nothing else was said. Shikamaru may not seem excited but my parents and I know better than to assume that. We know that all that Shikamaru really needs is for someone to help direct him throughout his journey. I know that Shikamaru has the potential in becoming a fine shinobi if he just got over his laziness, but he's stubborn.

----

     After breakfast, Shikamaru took off to the academy mentioning that he will walk with Choji today. Seeing as I had to head out soon as well I quickly helped my mom wash the dishes before heading out as my parents wished me luck.

     My new job may not seem as exciting as being part of the ANBU but that still didn't stop the tingling feeling from forming in my stomach. I haven't yet officially even started my first day of work and I already feel like some of the heavy pressure on my shoulders has been lifted. The crowded morning streets of Konoha didn't seem as intimidating anymore.

     "Hey Shizuka," I heard a familiar voice call out, "wait up!"

     Turning my head towards the direction of the voice I spot Kurenai making her way through the busy crowd towards me. "Hey, good morning Kurenai!"

     "Good morning Shizuka," Kurenai answered back as she brought me in quickly for a short hug. "Where are you heading to?"

     "Oh, right I haven't told you yet..." I answered as a smile formed on my lips. "I was able to resign from my position in the ANBU and now I am going to be working with you and the rest of the group as a sensei... In training I believe is how it's going to work."