Narrowing the Field

Finally, the day has come. Earlier today just in the nick of time Kakashi's team has cleared the 'Forest of Death' portion of the exam. The rest of the rookie nine teams, as well as Guy's team, had also passed that exam. Kurenai's team was the second one to make it out following the sand village team. Both these teams make it out on the first day which surprised everyone including myself!

     Now standing right before us all were all of the genin teams who had passed the exam. Orochimaru doesn't seem to be among the group of genin seeing as his last known disguise wasn't in the mix.
     'Just what is he planning?...'

     As I stood next to Hayate in front of all the genin I couldn't help but direct my eyes to the Sound Ninja Jounin. It wasn't his appearance that was striking at all... it was the uneasiness feeling I got when looking at him. My stomach settled on a dropping feeling and before I knew it an acidic taste in my mouth threatened to spill out. As if sensing my gaze the Sound Ninja turned his attention towards me before I quickly averted my eyes away from him and looked towards the now empty spot next to me.

     "If any of you don't feel well enough to take part in the preliminary exam," Hayate called out between coughs, "please raise your hand up high in order to be dismissed."

     Looking out towards the genin teams I meet Shikamaru's eyes and gave him a nod of encouragement. Even if he is lazy at times I know he has a brilliant mind in that head of his.
     'Make me proud little brother!'

     Much to Anko's dismay, who wanted Sasuke out of the exams due to his curse mark, only one shinobi quit the preliminaries. A leaf shinobi by the name of Kabuto.

     "Alright then as of now the preliminary exam has begun," Hayate announced as a fit of coughs followed. Directing his attention towards the now on signboard he called out the names of the first competitors. "Our first battle will be Yoroi Akado up against... Sasuke Uchiha."

     When Sasuke and his opponent walked up to the front I quickly noticed how his breaths were jagged and strained. His chest rose up in such an un-regular rhythm that to someone who didn't know him it might seem like he was scared or nervous.
     'The curse mark must be sealed as soon as possible if we actually want a chance on doing so... hold on just a bit longer Sasuke.'

     Soon we were instructed to move up towards the second floor but I made my way towards Sasuke. As he sensed me approaching him he quickly straightened up trying to look unfazed.

     "Good luck out there Sasuke and remember to try your best," I encouraged as I bent down towards his level a bit.

     "Hm will do," he calmly responded with a slight nod.

     Slowly I straightened myself up as I looked out for any unwanted attention. Slightly I turned my head towards the right and quickly noticed the Sound Jounin's intense glare directed at us. Ones he noticed my gaze he licked his lips before quickly withdrawing his attention elsewhere and making his way up towards the second floor.
     'Oh my, there's no doubt about it... that's h-him- RELAX SHIZUKA! He wouldn't dare to do anything now... he has bigger plans ahead. I just know it."

"Shizuka sensei?" Sasuke's confused voice called out breaking me out on my train of thought.

     "Sasuke," I whispered seriously looking straight into his eyes. "Try to stick with taijutsu... it will help you suppress the curse mark a bit more."

Shocked dawned on his face with the realization that I knew about his accouter with Orochimaru. No doubt in my mind he was also trying to figure out who else knew and what will happen to him after.

"Don't worry as long as you can suppress your mark until Kakashi can seal it up later we will be good," I reassured as I straighten back up. "You'll be fine," I concluded before walking up towards the second floor.

     As soon as I spotted Shikamaru's team I made a beeline towards them wanting to give my little brother some more encouragement. I also just wanted to keep a closer eye on him knowing that Orochimaru was here as well.

     "Hey Shikamaru," I greeted placing my hand on his shoulder comfortably.

     "Hi Shizuka," he responded back a bit more attentive than usual.

     "Are you nervous?"

     "Hm..." was all he replied as he avoided any type of eye contact.

     "You know it's perfectly normal to be a bit ner-" I began before I was abruptly interrupted by a quite defensive Shikamaru.

     "Who said I was nervous?"

     "Aha, my bad Shikamaru sorry for assuming," I replied back with a small grin on my face. "Now that we are on this topic though you know who does look really nervous..."

     "Who?" Shikamaru curiously asked as I beckoned him closer.

     Slowly he walked up closer to me as I whispered Ino's name into his ear. Suddenly he quickly tried to straighten himself up to glance towards her direction but before he could I tugged him down. The truth was Ino was calmly waiting for Sasuke's fight to begin in order to cheer him on.

     "You'll make the poor girl even more nervous if you stare at her!" I harshly whispered trying to make it even more believable. "Now listen as her teammate you have to go over there and reassure her."

     "Hm about what? How?"

     "Just let her know that we all have faith in her. All of you made it this far which is already pretty impressive seeing as this is your first year as a genin. Besides, worrying about the unknown won't prepare you any more than you already are. It will only cloud your judgment," I proclaimed as I finally allowed him to straighten up.

     Right as he directed his attention towards Ino realization hit his face seeing as she was gleefully cheering Sasuke on.

     "See I told you," I tauntingly stated before walking off towards Asuma.

     "Hey Shizuka," Asuma quickly greeted looking a bit tensed.

     "Hey Asuma," I greeted back as I quickly glanced around us. "It's Orochimaru isn't it..."

     "Yes," Asuma whispered back worried. "My father doesn't want to interrupt the exams because of his threat..."

     "Knowing Orochimaru he'll do something big..." I whispered back shakily. "He wouldn't do anything now, he'll drag out his appearance until the right moments. Until it's worth it."

     "You're right," Asuma agreed with concern laced around his words. "I'm afraid to think of what that moment will look like."

     "You and I both..."

~~~~~~~~
Hey everyone! Another chapter done after a very very long wait!! Hope you guys enjoyed reading it! Please feel free to leave me any feedback and criticism!