The Final Rounds

The day of the final rounds for the Chunin Exams was finally here and much to Shikamaru's dismay, I had dragged him out of bed to the Arena where the trials are to take place. Our parents were also going to be there of course but, my mom will be found near the other anxious mothers while my dad as the Jounin Commander will be working steadily behind the scenes. Shikamaru and I had arrived earlier to get him settled in before I was escorted out of where the competitors were and up to the stand with the rest of the crowd. Even though I am their Sensai as well, to prevent causing traffic down there as to keep the games running smoothly I should stay up with the crowd. Thus only the lead Sensai's who had a student competing were down there.

     The Arena was filled with many important people from different nations including their future leaders looking to seek and sort out the most promising future shinobi. All the stands and seats were occupied by Spectators leaving little to no empty spaces in between which wasn't surprising given that the Chunin Exams is one of those special events marked on nearly everyone's calendars.

     "Oh god, where are Naruto and Sasuke," I worried as I sat alongside Sakura and Ino in the stands.

     "No doubt about it that Naruto lost track of time or overslept," Sakura groaned. "You would think he'd be the first one lined up with all that talk about being Hokage!"

     "Shizuka Sensai please tell me that Kakashi Sensai isn't too far with Sasuke," Ino begged as she anxiously looked around the Arena for Sasuke.

     "It's hard to know with him," I confessed sending her a sympathetic look. "But I will say I am shocked that he'd be THIS late to something THIS important!"

     Looking around the Arena myself it was clear that everyone here was confused and upset about the amount of Genin presented to duel.
     "Hey, we are missing a few people!"
     "What's the meaning of this?!"
     "When are these trials going to start?!"

     Just as the crowd started getting rowdy a commotion erupted in the entrance with Naruto sliding in chest down against the dirt floor. The Arena grew quiet for a split second as everyone registered what had happened as well as spotting the herd of oxen being detained at the entrance by several struggling Jounin.
     'Well... at least he's here.'

     With a small cloud of dust following him down Naruto ended up coming to a halt right in front of Shikamaru's standing figure. Steadily my brother reached down to help him up to his feet.

     "Shizuka Lord Third would like to speak to you immediately," a fellow Jounin informed me bringing my gaze away from the scene in front of me to a row right behind me.

     "Uh- okay sure I'll be there right now," I stammered quite confused as I stared at their soon retrieving figure. "Hey Sakura, Ino I have to step out for a quick minute mind saving my seat?"

    "Of course not Sensai!"
    "Sure thing!"

     "Thank you!" I quickly replied as I took my leave and headed towards the higher stand where Lord Third was to be seated with all the other Kages.
     'Oh boy this has to be about Kakashi and Sasuke's whereabouts... just what am I going to tell the old man!'

     Steadily I made my way up passing many Jounin who stood on guard and even spotted a few Anbu's for a split second. Might have taken the girl away from Anbu but never the Anbu away from the girl... Nearing Lord Third I noticed that the other two chairs for the Kages were empty. I also took note of the Third's slight tired demeanor most likely created by stress.

     "Good afternoon Lord Third," I greeted with a bow.

     "Hello Shizuka," Lord Third greeted back as he raised his head. "I wish I had called upon you for some happier news but given the circumstance, I need to let you know. We need everyone we can get to be on high alert."