Chapter 9

School was the dragging feature of life. You love it to socialize but you hate to learn. Except when it comes to the parties they get to thrown. Except it wasn't a party, it was teachers vs. students day.

The entire day was just games and tables to compete against teachers. No one dared to beat Mr.Hallmark at chess. Bridget nearly came in to win but he brought her down with a checkmate. There was a twist, every time they did a play they needed to answer an astronomy question. Half the kids would loose just by not getting the question right.

"Hey," Maddie called out to Bridget who was standing behind a crowd watching Dawson arm wrestle the coach. It was quite interesting. Bridget turned and smiled. Maddie wiggled her way to the front, pulling the new girl with her.

Mr.Hallmark sat alone in the corner of the office where he was at when Mickey came up. She smiled at him sitting down.

"You actually want to challenge me," Mr.Hallmark asked.

"Not Mr.Hallmark," Mickey steadied her gaze to him. "I'm challenging Jay."

He smirked raising an eyebrow and leaned forward.

"You're on Novatek."

Back at the arm wrestling, Dawson slammed the coach's arm down. All the other jocks cheered Dawson on as he raised his fists in the air walking around. Bridget smiled at him as he walked over to her.

"What do you think of the new champ," Dawson asked.

"I wanna see how well you can throw," Bridget pointed to the dunk pool. "Well me-."

Dawson puffed out his chest playing around and laughed as he followed Bridget and the rest of the crowd. Jason turned his head back to see Tanner sitting down besides Mickey and Mr.Hallmark. He had his hands to his head looking at both of them.

He wanted to know what was going on so he approached the table watching Mickey move her bishop and waited as Mr.Hallmark picked up a card.

"Richard Peck is known for writing what book," Mr.Hallmark asked her.

"Equation of Gravity. Not finished. So Mumbai jumbo for at the end, a unsolved mystery.

Mr.Hallmark moved his piece and waited for Mickey to pick up another card and moaned in laughter.

"This is too easy," Mickey groaned. "What causes the Aurora Borealis?"

"Oh no," Mr.Hallmark moaned. "Unstable energy particles on the earths atmosphere, mainly sun particles and both collide causing what we all know and love, the Aurora Borealis."

Mickey laughed as she looked down at the boards eyeing the Queen Mr.Hallmark had. She raised an eyebrow moving her knight. This was getting good. Some other kids joined just because they could hear both of them laughing and teasing one another.

"Okay, What exactly does a black hole bend," Mr.Hallmark asked.

"Easy. Space and Time," Mickey changed her piece and took one of Mr.Hallmark.

When it came to Mr.Hallmark, the question was simply what is a blackhole. He was dangerously close to Mickey's King. She waited for him to pull the card. Now a big group of students were surrounding them.

"What would happen if you traveled faster than the speed of light," Mr.Hallmark. "You answer this and you are one step closer."

Mickey leaned back thinking hard.

"Okay for starters, the law of physics doesn't help any. They don't see how it's possible to travel at the speed of light. Anything with mass would need an immense amount of energy to equal the actual the speed of light. So theoretically talking, it's not possible. But I feel like someone might just be able to," Mickey smirked looking at Mr.Hallmark.

"My goodness kid. You are good," he laughed as she grabbed a new card. Mickey laughed as she looked at his card. "What?"

"What is it like inside a black hole," Mickey asked as she caught sight of Benjamin walking behind Mr.Hallmark.

"Well, It's Black. Formed by a supernova. The Matter would try to keep itself up so it wouldn't collapse. In post-main sequence stars such as white dwarfs or neutron stars, this force comes from trying to push all the sub-atomic particles together, such as electrons and protons to form neutrons. If there is enough mass to overcome these forces then gravity will win and everything is compressed into a space that is infinitely small, which is called a singularity. Outside the singularity there is a boundary which we call the event horizon. It is impossible for us to look at anything that lies inside within this boundary as past this point the gravitational pull is so strong that not even light is able to escape from it, hence why it's black."

"You're right but if it is a small black hole, you get spaghetified. If it isn't, there is a chance you can survive it but then that would be you to tell," Mickey leaned back with a smirk on her face. Mr.Hallmark never saw her knight that had checkmated his King. He looked down at the chess game as the kids began to laugh and pat Mickey. She had actually won him both in the questions and the actual game!

"I guess you beat me," Mr.Hallmark smiled.

"No. I beat Jay. I could never beat Mr.Hallmark," Mickey smiled standing up extending her hand. He shook it as the kids laughed cheering Mickey! Bridget raised a quizzical brow watching the new girl carefully. She sure knew too much, didn't she? Maybe she was stepping over the boundary since she did just remember all those books in her locker. She was just a pathetic little nerd. Bridget stepped back and was gone.

"Hey! Way to go," Tanned smiled looking at her. "I guess I know who I need to make you hang out with more. I'm guessing maybe you owe me something?"

Mickey shrugged playfully walking past Jason. Jace saw Mr.Hallmark fixing his chess game and decided to walk over.

"What's going on Maverick," he flashed him a quick glance.

"Oh nothing. Quite a game!"

"Oh yeah. I knew she was smart like her old man."

"You knew her father?"

"Yeah. He's still around but he doesn't call them much. We use to be close, our families, ever since the accident, Kelly pushed Mickey away a bit more. Hardly called," Mr.Hallmark forgot he was talking with a student. Shaking his head, he turned and kept cleaning.

"Is that why she is so quiet," Jason asked. Mr.Hallmark glanced back at him.

"What's your purpose Jason," he asked somewhat defensive. "Why do you ask?"

"Because she is. I mean it's just so strange that one moment she is talking, with you it seems like, then in others she is just silent. Not even a single sound. No one knows what she does. She doesn't go to any parties of any sort, never see her in town-."

"If you really care, why don't you ask her yourself? Be her friend. Not be stuck in the same group that you always are."