Chapter 21

"Stop snoring," Jason harshly muttered as he chucked the pillow at Dawson's face. Dawson mumbled something in his sleep, simply turning his back to Jason. He felt like a kid trapped between two grizzlies. One snored in the left, the other snored in the right.

Laying there supinely, Jason glanced out the window to see the full moon. It gave him a sense of peace but he wished to enjoy it even better without the two monsters in the room.

Outside, Mickey sat up in the tree with her notebook in hand. She was looking up at the stars and down at her hand drawn star maps.

The city wide blackout wasn't for a sudden reason. Blackhole caused that. Mickey knew and now she had to help somehow to get him. She heard the spring of the back porch door open and made her jump. Jason walked out rubbing his hand over his neck and stepped out barefooted onto the grass and looking out towards the ocean. He loved the way the reflection had ripples across the ocean making it even brighter than normal. Man could he look at that all night.

"Ah mum," he smiled to himself. "How much I would have loved for you to see this. Your duvet and your cup of cocoa in your hand- I can just see it."

He smiled looking back at the house and saw the figure hiding up on the tree. He took a side step back watching Mickey raise her hand. He did the same scratching his torso.

"Hey," he saw her looking back out towards the ocean. "I'm betting there is a much better view up there and down here. Mind if I join you?"

Mickey shrugged one shoulder then the other. Taking it as a yes, he climbed on up and sat on the same limb she was. He exhaled deeply and broke his best grin.

"Beauty isn't it," Mickey surprised Jason with the action that she spoke first. That was an improvement let's be honest.

"Sure is," Jason leaned forward. "I wanted to say I was sorry about earlier. I know the feeling I just-."

"It's me. It's just-," Mickey looked down at her pen in hand. One leg was dangling down as the other was up to her chest, where her elbow rested. She kept toying at the notebook she had.

"You can trust me Mickey," Jason made sure he had actual eye contact. "I promise."

Mickey shook her head looking back out towards the ocean. Her head was leaned back against the tree with her eyes shut.

"My parents died when I was 5," Jason started. "Car accident. I remember that I wanted some ice cream that night. Imagine me, little Jason wanting ice cream at 9 at night. My mum was craving it too, that's the only reason why we went."

Mickey looked at him and figured something out. Jason never talked to anyone about this before. She could just see the way his eyes moved and his body expression when he talked about his parents. Jason nervously wiped his nose with the back of his hand.

"So we went," Jason nodded looking back towards the waves. "We were driving when a truck came onto our lane head on trying to pass another car. It was pouring and lighting flashed everywhere. My dad, he uh, he swerved the car to the side when the truck hit us. We flipped. My parents died instantly and I survived. All I remember was waking up in the hospital with my dad's friend Aaron Steele there. He adopted me as his boy and raised me. So trust me when I tell you I know the feelings when you are mad or sad about what happened. It can happen to any of us."

Mickey looked at him carefully but he didn't want to look at her. She reached out grabbing his hand, squeezing it gently. He glanced over as she smiled softly.

"My dad," she looked down. "He left when I was little. He taught me everything I knew until I kept learning. All this, I did it for him. I don't even know why. The day at school, with Ben, the reason why I did that was because my uncle, my dad's brother started accusing my mom about having an affair. It wasn't true because it simply wasn't. When Ben started talking like that, I just snapped. I promise you I'm never like that."

"Don't worry," Jason chuckled. "I think sooner or later Ben would get a whooping from someone. You sure did scare the- pudding out of the guy."

Mickey laughed rubbing her arm.

"I think that's the first time I've heard you laugh, genuinely," Jason smiled. "It just seems like you-."

"I What," Mickey turned looking into his blue green eyes.

"You carry the weight of the world on your shoulders." Mickey dropped dead serious again as she turned her head. "I don't even know who the real Mickey Novatek is suppose to be. Like Tanner said, I don't think you limit yourself to books. The girl at the pool party sure seemed like you."

Mickey smiled as she looked back at him.

"I think we haven't had a long talk like this huh? Dang it Maverick, you are special."

"I guess," he smiled at her. No kidding! His smile was contagious! It wasn't those cocky or forced smile. It was the genuine, pure smile that literally moved you. Made you feel like everything was going to get better. "I bet that there is no way you can beat me down there, to the beach."

"Oh buster," Mickey furrowed her eyebrows. "I live here. I know all the shortcuts."

"Well-," he hopped off landing perfectly. He was already running! Mickey yelled in protest chasing after him.

Ship
"You ready," Blackhole asked. "Get the girl and that cylinder, bring me the cylinder, out and shoot the beam in the morning. It's my turn to finish my plan."

His, (practically minions), helpers ran around the ship preparing the beam. Thanks to the power accumulated within Blackhole, he created this beam to create the singularity right in the core of Earth.

"Shut it down," Blackhole yelled. A women ran over and shut down the beam. "We need the cylinder and the girl, apart."