Chapter 11-Nothing

Chapter 11

•Joslyn•

I felt bad, but, I knew that Carl was just another boy-no sugar added. It wasn't a lie and I wasn't going to lie about it.

He was a boy. Yes, extremely attractive, but he hasn't even known me for a week. How can he like me already? He can't. He was basing his feeling on my looks.

Why would he like you? You're being ridiculous; he was only comforting you...you're nothing.
The devil in my head spoke.

No angel. No nice, comforting words were held up there-in my head-also in the sky.

Where are you when I need you?

He didn't speak back. All I heard was the gentle whistle of the wind. I looked up to the sky, standing in front of the door where the group was heading back in.

"Joslyn,"

The dark woman stood in the doorway, holding the little girl in her arms as she looked back at me.

Who's baby was that?

"We're going to eat soon. We have some food, but we will have to move soon to find more."

"Thanks..."

I gave her a nod as my head looked back up to the clouds. I couldnt finish-I didn't even know her name. I knew none of their names-except Carl's-when he told me. I spent the most time with him, and I knew he maybe cared. The rest of them didn't, so I didn't bother.

I sat on the steps of the porch, looking at my- the walker, lying in the grass.

I felt my stomach turn. My eyes squinted and my jaw tensed, standing up as my shoulders stood stiff.

"Where is he now? Where did you go? Where's dad?"

Why was I asking that thing?

"What happened?!"
I screamed at the blue.

I licked my lips, hearing no response. I walked back to the house, seeing Carl run up the side, the green carpet rolled in front of him.

He was stopped by his dad, he stopped Carl by putting his hand on his chest. I swallowed and took a step back. Carl looked at me, not listening to his dad and I shuffled back.

I felt my eyes drop. I didn't want Carl to love me. I mean, I did...a bit, but I knew his dad was going to say something about me. I looked to the walker.

"He's right."

I headed into the house, slumping down near the broken frame of the door.

I should leave.
No, you should stay.

I argued.

Where are you now? Are you real?

I didn't know what I was talking. I was talking to The Wish Granter, well, trying.

No. You're stupid.
The devil in my head replied.

It's not in my head. This is hell. Maybe that's why he can't hear me. Maybe that's why my wish didn't come true. That's why all I have left is nothing.