Chapter 30-Amen

Chapter 30

•Joslyn•

A whole day has past since...

I had the doll still tight in my hand, it was the only thing I had left. I felt the arm sleeves of Carl's jacket hit my knees every time I would walk.

Carl's jacket.

I looked down, seeing the dark blue jacket wrapped around my waist. I felt weighed down by it.

Take it off. The memories are weighing you down.
I thought to myself.
You idiot, there is something in it.

That made more sense.

I sighed, looking to see if a walker or two were ready to pounce at me. I sat on the ground that would leave stains of mud and moisture on my jeans, yet I didn't really have that on my mind. I untied Carl's jacket, holding the corner where one pocket was stitched. My hand searched, only to find a crumpled piece of paper. It was in a ball shape the size of a gum ball. As I unfolded in edge by edge, I finally got to the inside.

"Amen..."

That's what was written. That one single word was written down. The word that meant "yes" the word I always heard when I was little. When I went...

Did he believe?

I could feel a smile form on my face. I stuck that piece of paper in my jean pocket, saving it for my self enjoyment.

As I flipped the jacket around, and I held the other pocket, a rectangular shape was outlined in the pocket, and a skinner one was outlined next to it. As my hand reached in, what I pulled out choked me.

I held a lighter that shined against the sun, the sun turning evil for have been apart of it, and the box of matches I held burned my hand then and there.

"Why did he keep these..."

He obviously kept them for a reason. I'll give them ba-

They were mine now. I sighed as I held them. I gained more depression as I held them.

I looked up to the side of me, only a few feet away, to see a thick tree trunk. I followed it up, a sturdy branch lead out of it. I gathered all of the things I had set out, and I placed them in my back pocket. The climb up was easy, and lucky for me, by the time I got up there, a walker appeared from behind a tree. His head angled left to right, up and down, as if he was searching for something. I looked over, hearing moans and growls coming from the opposite direction.

There was a heard of walkers that trampled past the other singled one that was heading in their direction. The walker stumbled. A groan escaping as his body shook, turning to limp the other way.

It stopped. It looked around as it did before, having no clue what had just happened. I practically compared myself to it. I smiled, giving a sarcastic laugh as I spoke about the thought and of how the walker looked lost and dumbfounded.

"Amen."

-

Aweeeeee. Okay, so people don't usually see when I do this but I absolutely love to put metaphors and all that kinda shtuff into things I wrote weather it be stories or even poems!

So, in my previous chapter, Carl states in his head,

"She isn't mine anymore",

Saying that he no longer has Joslyn and also that she isn't really his anymore, like apart of him.

Now, as Carl lost something of his, Joslyn gained something of Carl's: the cigarettes...resembling that in a way, they are still together.

So, when Carl lost something, Joslyn gained something and I absolutely love that I thought of that because it shows that even though Carl didn't intentionally do it, you know he would any day if it meant that it would protect Joslyn :)

AWE.

Also:

Thank you guys so much for 10.3k reads! That's amazing!!
~c