Chapter 36-Feel

Chapter 36

Joslyn

We eventually followed Carl as he led us into the woods. We have been walking for about three hours now, and it was getting dark. All I wanted to do was eat. I wasn't sure if Carl was going to stop in the woods, but he sure was determined. I adjusted the strap on my shoulder, hoisting it up a bit and I gulped. He didn't look back once.

"Carl's going through an...emotional stage right now."

I looked to my right as Michonne let her head down a notch, whispering to me as she eyed Carl.

"What do you mean?"
"Well, you know how Rick has that injury? Carl did that. Pulled a gun on him, shot his ankle."

I swallowed as my ankle started itching.

"Oh."
"Well, I'm sure he didn't really mean to pull the trigger."

Michonne stood straight, and sighed as she pursed her lips, squeezing her right cheek as it formed into half a smile. But it wasn't meant to be a smile.

"Probably just a threat."

She looked down to me and nodded, telling me that it wouldn't be easy for my relationship with Carl either.

What kind of relationship...

"Carl...CARL."

Rick's voice messed Carl's name up, sounding a bit odd as I heard no a but o.

"WHAT?!"

Carl snapped back as his voice was deep and loud. Maggie came behind Rick, cupping his shoulder with her hand.

"We gotta stop, lil' man-"
"Don't call me that!"

He loved it when Daryl called him that.

Daryl went back from where he stepped up, taking his crossbow from over his head and his shoulder, holding it as he would if he were ready to shoot. He looked around, observing the woods as he looked back to us , standing directly in the middle.

"We should stop now. We can all split up, find supplies. When we get back, we can eat, stay here for the night."
Daryl explained.

"Someone should set up, ya know, get the barriers set up."

Maggie was talking about the things we use to keep us alive as we sleep, also known as a string with objects tied to it so if a walker comes by, they will bang together and the noise will alert us.

Oh, gosh.

Carl was ahead of us by at least eight feet when he stopped walking to actually listen. He came back as he took rope out of his bag and started to wrap it around a tree.

"Okay, I think Carl's got that job,"
Daryl said calmly.
"We'll take this side of the woods, and you take that side."

Daryl pointed to either side as he went with Rick and Michonne and Maggie went the other way.

"Maybe you should stay here with him."

My body shook as I heard that suggestion, which I didn't like. Michonne did that thing where she squeezed her cheek and she nodded once, and I did the same, squeezing my lips together. She headed off, following Maggie, and I turned back to see Carl staring at me with the rope in his hand, scolding me.

"Um...Mi-Michonne told me to, uh..."
"Yea. I heard. I pay attention to everything now."

He was already tying the rope to the next tree, making a square, as he looked up at me, and I could slightly see his blue eyes peering from under the rim of his hat. I rock back and forth on my feet and I looked around, pretending I didn't notice his glance.