Chapter 20-Burn Out

Chapter 20

•Carl•

It was getting even darker, and the wind got colder. As Joslyn left the whole scene, she went as sat by the fire. She crossed her ankles, hugging her knees tight. Her face looked pale, not because of the reflection of the fire that glowed on her face, but she looked different.

Her lips looked whiter than usual. Her ankles crossed, almost as two lines, so skinny and boned from lack of food. The narrow shirt she was wearing wasn't enough. I headed over, sitting next to her. Her eyes gently angled to me, I only saw brown in the corner of her eyes. Her eyes blended with the reflection of the fire.

Burn out. Her eyes shine on her own.

"What are you doing?"
She whispered.

"You should eat."

I took her bag out from behind her, opening the flap that covered everything.

There's more to this girl.

"What's this?"

I held a doll in my hand, holding it out to her.

"Oh, nothing."

She took it from me, shoving it back where I found it. She looked up at me and my eyes spoke for me.

A different story.

I reached my hand in her bag, feeling a bag. I took it out, seeing trail mix, and I handed it to her.

"No, I'm fine. You should have it. It's your group."
"But..."

I zoned out, realizing she probably wouldn't take it. I put it back in her bag and handed it to her by the strap.

"You should stop worrying for me, Carl..."

Her shoulder touched mine. I wanted to stay close to her, yet she kept pushing away.

"It's not worrying...it's protecting."
"I'm not worth caring for."

Her tongue came between her lips and her teeth clenched together and I saw her words try to come out, yet they stayed. I saw Michonne and Maggie look to me, Michonne raising an eyebrow. I knew she thought I needed help, or something like that.

I shook my head.

"Hey,"

I saw her getting up and I held her hand. We were set a bit farther from the group, so I grabbed onto her hand as I pulled myself up.

Joslyn

Carls warm fingers entwined with mine, feeling gentle and smooth, encrusted with blood and dirt, yet it still felt sweet.

No...

I winced and pulled my hand to my chest, rubbing it with the other.

"Joslyn, what's wrong."

I looked at him, seeing a betrayal in his eyes, and it wasn't for himself.

You talked to him. You got close to him, only to tear away...bitch.

"Carl, you can't keep wanting to- I mean, well...you just can't-"
"Can't what?!"
"Like me!"

My voice cracked, shaking like glass and started shattering.

His eyes sinked, the ocean now turning to a polluted surface, filled with lies dumped in and false facts.

"I...I just want to help you-"

"Don't..."

His hands were already around my neck and I felt a new layer upon my shoulders. I realized his jacket wasn't on my shoulders, revealing the grey and navy blue color block shirt he wore. The jacket hung around me like a cape and his hands rested on my shoulders.

"I cant just care for myself. I only ever really cared for two things at a time...now only one."

Water fell from the grass, the ocean drifting out and getting depressed with everything thrown in it...brown and dirt weren't good for water.

"I care. Even if you don't."

He walked past you, seeing him eye his dad as he sat, facing the fire and only focusing on that one thing.

He's failing. Burned out...for you...oh what an awful thing.

-

OMG! 3.1k reads! I love you all so much! I think this fanfic is a really special one! If you look at all the clues dropped in here, you just gotta put them together and they are great metaphors!
Fun fact about me:
I wrote poetry. I am also very good at it!
Maybe I will show you guys a poem one day!:)
Anyways, this and chapter 19 have probably been my favorite to write so far.
In chapter 19, Joslyn and Carl are shown to the teen world- filled with lots of mood swings.
Also, the smoke is compared to bad memories and obstacles in both chapters, the fire and the smoke.
In this chapter, you see that even though Joslyn and Carl might be the same in ways, Carl doesn't see how good he has it. Carl compares Joslyn's eyes to Copper as she compares tham to dirt and mud.
Difference?
Anyway, keep your eyes out for things like that!
-
Love you all!
-
~c.j.