Chapter 19-Tragdeties

Chapter 19

•Carl•

I walked underneath the tree, coming in front so that Joslyn could see me. She sat up on a branch, her hands tested by her sides and her feet dangled off the edge as they swayed back and forth.

All she had on was her same outfit that she always had, with no sleeves. Her hair hung down in her face, each blonde lock separated perfectly.

She angled her eyes up to me.

"Hi, Grimes."
"You okay?"
"I'm fine."
"So, no."

She looked down again, her plump lips closing as curving up and wind pushed against her, her hands tightly against the branch.

"You want to talk?"
"I thought you didn't care."

I could hear her whisper.

"I'm going through a hard time, too."

She stared at me for a moment. It was like a moment of truth, wether she trusted me or not. I could see the melted copper poured in her eye. It burned as she scooted herself, making room and I climbed the trunk.

I headed over, using my knife to drag myself up. It wasn't that high when I got there. I sat next to Joslyn, looking out to the open. The group was behind us and we faced the shining, glistening moon.

"Are you still fine?"

She shook her head, giving me no eye contact, only as she looked up at me.

"I should be asking you that..."

She said feeling guilty. She wiped her eyes of sadness and regret, slumping down on her hands, her elbows resting on her knees.

"I got time."

She looked to me, leaning back a bit, surprised.

"I have a story. It's not fake. It's not short. You want to know that story?"

"No,"
She looked disappointed.
"I want to hear your story."

I felt myself tense and a smirk formed on my face, a smile taking place on hers.

-

She told me how she survived, how she would stay above ground...

"So, you only stayed up in trees and you would only come down when you needed food or something important."

She nodded her head, looking pleased with herself.

"It's in the name. Walkers. They aren't Climbers."

I laughed a bit. She turned sideways on the narrow branch, bringing her one knee to her chest. Her face went gentle, lamb-like. She cuddled her knee, facing me.

"You got a story?"
"Yea."
"Let's hear it."

I swallowed. She was serious.

Did she really care?
Did I...

I faced the way she sat, looking down as I folded my hands and beginning to speak.

"When I was about 12, I had to shoot-"

"No. We aren't here to hear tragedies. We listen to the sins, they can only be forgiven once they are spoken..."

"This is all just one big tragedy...sins are just a lesson you learn."

Poetic bitch.

I was going nowhere here. I had no way to explain my real story.

She was confusing me...I hate confusing things.

Her lips squeezed as she pulled them inside of her mouth.

She leaned closer, her eyes locking to mine. It wasn't a sweet one though. It was more intimidating. She stared, waiting for an answer. I was too busy thinking about that one day, how I felt about her.

Maybe...

"I want to hear your real story."

I bit my bottom lip. Sure, I just had the most devastating moments of my life and this girl wants me to tell her all of my "sins".

Is that all she is now? Are you taking after your dad?

I didn't have time to think about that, but I did.

"I'm not comfortable telling you that..."

Her lips squeezed together and she leaned back, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Okay."

She looked at me one last time
Before she nearly killed herself by jumping down.

"Blue Eyes...thanks."

She caught my attention really fast. She smirked as I looked up at her, knowing that it sort of annoyed me, and also gave me memories.

"For what?"

"Back there...you pulled me out before I nearly died..."

I could see disappointment in her eye, and she took one final breath before plummeting to the rotted ground.

"You didn't want me to...did you."

Her lips deflated between her teeth and she looked up at me. I stayed up there, my moods swinging back and forth, same as hers. It seemed like a normal phase, so I kept it to myself.

"That's a different story."

She walked away as I looked down. It was only about seven feet up. I took my chances, falling knees first, having a fine landing, surprising myself I could still stand.

I think I do care...then I don't.

Tragic.