Chapter 25-Mine

Chapter 25

•Carl•

I stood there, the moment shallow, blurred, nothing to remember of it. I stood underneath the branch, looking up.

Damn. She got up there fast.

"Hey."

Great way to comfort her.

She peered her eyes up, looking back down as if embarrassed, sad, or just not wanting to talk to anyone.

Especially you.

I headed to the trunk of the tree, wrapping my arms around it as much as I could, my feet searching for a boost up. I climbed easily, but slipped as my foot found nothing to support it. Luckily, Joslyn wasn't that high up. As I reached her, I sat far on the branch, giving her distance.

I scooted closer, and every time I did, her head seemed to seep farther to her knees.

"It's...a nice view...?!

I practically asked her, wanting to get her opinion into the conversation. She nodded her head.

"Yea...I saw this everyday."
"Saw?"

She nodded. Her knee was held close to her chest, and the other one dangled back and for over the branch.

"Yea. It's how I survived."
"After..."

She nodded, answering my unfinished question.

"Stayed up in trees- only came down if I saw some food, maybe for a weapon, or shit like that."
"Why?"
"Well, walkers are to stupid to climb."

I smiled, laughing at how she made her bad situation joke. She was opening up. She wasn't just some bad ass, she had feelings.

"Then I found you guys...not really apart of my plan."

She squeezed her lips, looking at the ground; not wanting to look at me.

"Are you happy?"
"No..."
"No, I mean about how you found our group."

She looked at me. Her pink lips softened, releasing the tension they held.

I barely got a taste.

"Well, yea. If I didn't, I wouldn't have found someone like me."

I choked, thinking of all the reasons that me and Joslyn were alike, then my mind landed on one thing.

"W-what...nothing?"
"No. Just broken."

Different than my answer.

She looked at me, waiting for me to answer her; tell her she was right.

"No...I'm pretty sure I was right."

She looked down again.

"Yea...for both of us..."

She zoned out, not doing anything but not looking, her hands laid out on the branch on either side.

She was so much more than nothing. She was broken, helpless, weak. Failing...yet surviving.

All of that made her beautiful.

"Maybe..."

She began.

"Maybe we are nothing, if we have nothing to live for. Maybe we really...just have to live for ourselves."

I stared at her, my back crunched over, angled to her.

"That nothing isn't me...it was someone else."

I answered. I did not care for myself, yet for others. There were so many people who deserved care in this world and I sure as hell wasn't one of them.

She looked back down.

-

After Joslyn basically showed who she really was to me, she didnt want to talk. So, after that, she dropped from the branch and headed to the shed.

I have been standing outside the last thirty minutes.

She had the courage to kiss you and you cant even go in there and comfort her.

She needed someone to care- she had no one now. I had listened to her. I know what it's like. I can't just do nothing.

My hand reached for the shed's beat down door, slowly opening it as I saw Joslyn leaning against a wall as she sat on the ground, her legs laid out, replacing tools that should have been there.

"You remind me of her."

I leaned against the door way. My arms crossed as the wond blew through my disgusting hair and I felt a chill on the back of my neck. Yet, I went warm as Joslyn looked up at me.

Damn those eyes.

Brown eyes are literally gold in the sun. The only source of light that shined through was through a window which was now basically a square opening in the side of the wall.

But still. Bless the sun...and brown eyes.

Brown eyes...

Blue eyes.

"Who..."
"Judith..."

Her knees were crouched to her chest, not touching, yet bent as her feet stayed parallel on the ground and her arms rested on top.

"Why...our eyes..."

She looked puzzled, ready for a ridiculous, sappy, cheer-up answer for her. But, she was wrong. Judith's eyes were darker than mine, but not like Joslyn's.

"I care about you...blondie."

I could see her wanting to smile, yet the tears that shattered from her eyes stopped her from doing so.

"D-do you want this back?"

She played with the sleeve from my jacket that was wrapped around her waist.

I almost forgot about that.

"No, you shou-"
"Carl, I want you to come sit by me."

She finally forced a smirk onto her face, waiting for me to come, and I did. Even though at first she tried to push me away, now she realized i really did care.

It was only three days.

Time was getting selfish. Time does not have a say in when something happens, but it will only tell you the time it does.

My new world had started three days ago, and on the third day, I fell in love.

She had been here for about three days, but love is love. She wasn't just some pretty girl that I invited to our group so she wouldn't die.

She was mine.