Chapter 23-Of My Interest

Chapter 23

•Carl•

We walked the whole road, at the end it spread like wide tree branches of to an intersection and a highway. There were skidded tire marks aligning the ground, cars turned at all angles, and signs dangling at high mounts. I saw a sign that had the word Exit on it, yet the rest of it was illegible, or broken off.

"Now what, Shortie."
Daryl complained.

We all watched as her feet shuffled, her body adjusting to turn in between the sides of cars as she continued moving. I noticed how Daryl's nickname fit her. She was a bit short; shorter than me.

"You just keep moving!"

She yelled...as she kept going.

We shrugged, following her through all the ruins and despairs of past. I looked in one of the cars, seeing dead walkers sit in the seats as if they were still human.

What was this girl leading us through?
Why was she so specific on where to go?
What was she up to...

I ran ahead, getting close enough to Joslyn to be next to her. As we began walking, the only thing that separated us was the line of cars we walked adjacent to, having the slightest room to even walk.

"Hey,"
Michonne called.
"We should at least stop while we're here; look for supplies that could be here."

My dad nodded his head, agreeing, and eventually, so did the rest of us. We all took different sides, and I went into the first thing I saw: an R-V.

I sat down in the front, placing my hands on the soft leather wheel. I looked out in front of me, then I closed my eyes. I pictured cars in front of me, cars being viewed from the side mirrors as they all moved to go somewhere, wether it were to work or to a certain event, and I had a drivers license. It was something I didn't have to worry about, though.

I opened my eyes.

I got up, heading to the back. The faded red seats were almost useless, no light shining through the windows above them, covered by the ugliest drapes I've ever seen. I headed to the very back, seeing a table. I looked all around it, seeing nothing that was to our interest.

I turned back to head out the door, taking one last look over my shoulder, as I bumped into something. I looked in front of me, seeing Joslyn standing there.

"Oh-"
She said in disappointment.
"I didn't think anyone was here."

She took a step back to the ground, stepping off the rail of the R-V.

"It's fine."
I said moving past her.

"Hey,"
She called after me.

"You find anything?"
"No. We aren't going to."

I explained.

"Where exactly are you planning on taking us?"
"I told you. Illi-"
"Well how?!"

She shrugged.

"I was just thinking the highwa-"
"That's stupid. There are probably dozens of walkers attracted to this scene."
"There'll be less if you keep your mouth shut."

She walked past me, biting her lip and raising her eyebrow as if giving me a suggestion.

"Why do you even want to go?!"
I screamed to her.

She stopped in her spot, tilting her head down and turning on her heels. She let out a sarcastic laugh as she stepped closer, almost under me.

"Why do you care?!"
She spat.