Chapter 17-Another

Chapter 17

•Carl•

Joslyn and I sat behind the counter and I looked to my left. Michonne, Daryl, my dad, and Judith were all sitting behind the lest isle in the back.

"Carl-"

"What, Daryl."

I called back to him.

"Toughie."

I heard Joslyn mutter.

"What do I smell?"

Shit.

I peered around the edge of the counter, seeing more and more walkers coming. I looked over to the isle Joslyn and I were in before. Trailing up was smoke that was climbing to the ceiling.

"Told you."

I looked down to Joslyn as she had her arms crossed. She looked as if I did something wrong.

It was her fault. We could have been out by now if she hasn't stopped me.

I tried lying to myself.

I would have searched, headed up to the group, and we would have left.

I glared at her, pulling her arm up to me and her eyes were level to mine.

"Hey-"

"No. Listen. I don't know who you think you are, but if you're going to be here, you're going to at least act like you care."

"Why...you don't."

She shot at me, not missing. My heart tore and I couldn't feel its beating anymore. My body went paralyzed and she slipped from my grip, snapping in front of my as my breath came back to me.

"Rick!"

I heard Michonne yell in a whisper tone.

"What's the plan?"

"I don't know, I got Judith!"

For once.

I glared at him with disappointment. I looked to the walker invaded door, the glass starting to shatter. I traced the box held in my pocket, thinking of what to do. My dad obviously wasn't going to do anything, so someone else had to.

I looked around, hearing only moans, scratching, and glass cracking. I looked to the isles, the smoke still rising.

Damn, when is that going to burn out.

It just reminded me that maybe Joslyn was right. The walkers were probably attracted to the smell, so maybe this was my fault.

No. I dont have time to think that way. It reminded me of all those things, especially as it just sat there and mocked me.

That's never going to burn out.

Wait, the isles-that's it! I looked over to the rest of the group, seeing them start to pull out all there weapons, the only one that wasn't moving was Joslyn. I tapped her shoulder and she jumped staring up at me.

"What-"

"Come on!"

I grabbed her wrist, pulling her up and we sneeked behind the other set of isles.

"Carl what are we-"

She was interrupted by a shattering sound. I looked through the small opening of the shelf that previewed the front door of the store.

"Just push!"

I leaned against the shelf, Joslyn taking after me, and after a few pushes, it fell, a domino reaction forming between all the aligning shelves, all of them falling and landing close to the front door as the walkers barged through.

I looked to Daryl as he shouted.

"Good job, little man! Push!"

The four of them pushed down the other set of isles, all the dust bouncing off and the floor and everything on it forbidden.

"Quick, out the back door!"

Daryl yelled.

-

Joslyn

Carl was smart. That's what he was. He found himself. Well, not yet, it was kind of me who figured him out before he did. It was just one of his layers.

I started coughing. All the dust traveled, mixed with the smoke that was rising with nothing to put it out.

I told him.

I saw nothing, yet I heard Daryl yelling, walkers moaning, and objects on the floor being stepped on and tripped over.

"Hurry!"

I bent down behind the counter, a flash of light coming in from the door that opened by Daryl's hand and we all headed out. As I slung the bag over my shoulder, I was halfway out the door, I felt something fall out of my bag.

"Wait!"

I slipped my fingers through, holding the door open and heading in. I waved dust out of my face and I looked to the floor. I saw my doll lying down, sinking in the dust.

As I grabbed it, I came back up, seeing a walker. Its arms reached out for you, yet you stepped back and dodged its hold. The walker stood puzzled, turning its head side ways string at you, then it angled down to the doll.

I gasped, shaking my head.

"No..."

I felt arms come behind me and they pulled me back, pulling me out of the store. As i was pulled back, the door closed and shut with one last blow of dust come from the door.

"NO!"

I landed down on the concrete, seeing Carl next to me, his arms still around my waist. I stood, releasing his grip for only a moment. I tried to get out, go back to the door, yet he pulled me back.

"No! Let me go!"

Tears colored in my eyes and I stood up, Carl pulling me back again.

"Joslyn! You cant go back in there! We have lost too many...we aren't going to lose another."

He said he didn't care.

"Carl, your dad is here. Most of your family is here, I have to know if at least one person is still alive."

A tear traced my cheek, hearing a tiny scream from the store.

"Yea...my dad is here..."

Carl trailed off, looking back at his dad. We saw the group standing there. No one in someone else's arms. No one who was being held. No child. No Judith.

Another.