Chapter×6

"It's okay to not be okay."

-Kehlani

××××××××××××××××××××××

Kehlani

I waited for Jahseh in his car like he said, and all I could wonder about was what happened between him and Smokey, and if it was about me. It had to be about me, unless they just so happened to get in a fight after Sonya claimed herself to technically be "exposing" me in front of the whole school.

I'm thinking too much.

About 20 minutes passed, and finally Jahseh came out of the school with his stuff. He opened his door and tossed his backpack in the backseat before starting the car, not glancing at me once. We drove for 6 minutes and he pulled up to the grocery store. I looked at him with a confused look and he finally looked back at me before speaking.

"I don't know about you, but I could use a bunch of junk food right now." He said before getting out and closing the door. At first I hesitated, but then I thought about it, and realized I needed some snacks too. I got out of the car and followed Jahseh into the store. We got a bunch of snacks and paid for them before getting back in the car and going back on our drive.

We ended up back at the hill we were at last night, but this time he parked at the top of it. Once the car was turned off, there was an awkward silence, and I hated it. It made me feel so awkward, and I'm not an awkward person.

"Why did you fight him?" I asked, not looking at him.

I heard him sigh. "I knew it was him who told Sonya that lie, but he lied about telling her that. I pressed him about it, and he got mad."

"So...you fought Smokey to defend me?" I looked over at him.

"I fought Smokey because he's a bitch." He protested.

"But you didn't deny fighting him for me." I sassed.

"I didn't confirm it either, Kehlani." He raised his voice defensively.

I rolled my eyes at his attitude. "Why do you love holding onto yo' pride so tightly? It won't kill you to at least let yo' guard down for once. You said that my problem is that I'm stuck up, but it's really you who's stuck up. You never open up to your feelings."

"I'm not gonna do that shit." He said.

"Then at least tell me whether or not if you fought Smokey for me."

"Look, this shit just not gonna happen. I can't do this wit' you."

I just sat back and rolled my eyes as I propped my head up with my arm and the window.

I didn't even want to talk about it anymore.

-

Omniscient

Kehlani opened her eyes, and realized that she and Jahseh were still on the hill, only now it was sunset. She checked the time on her phone, which read 5:47 in the afternoon. Realizing that they had been there for a good three hours, she just shook her head. Surprisingly, her phone held no notifications for her to check, not even from Skyler or her father.

She looked ahead and saw Jahseh leaning against the hood of the car as he smoked a cigarette. He just stood there as he analyzed the view of the city. So many thoughts ran through his mind, but the one the stood out the most was Kehlani. Ever since she first came, he had been feeling himself changing a little. Ironically, it seemed as if he had forgotten that she's only been in his life for a few days. It scared him that the fact they haven't known each other for long, he still really cared about her. He knew that she was tough-skinned, but on the inside she was broken, and so was he.