Chapter×11

"How is the man of my dreams not a man of his words?
And how is the man for me just a man that makes me hurt?"

-Kehlani

××××××××××××××××××××××××

Jahseh

"This was a bad idea." I mumbled to myself as I looked at my Cruella hair, shaking my head. I honestly think it's not that bad, but the last thing I need is for everyone clowning me for my half blonde hair. I heard the front door close downstairs, then my mom's voice. I stopped playing with my hair to go downstairs to greet her, but when I got there, she had a distressed look on her face while Richard looked calm and collected.

"Ma, what's wrong? What happened?" I asked, getting their attention. When they looked at me, the both of them made a confused face. "Jahseh, what in the hell did you do to your damn head, child? You look like Cruella." She said as she reached and touched my hair.

"Okay, okay, I know. But seriously, what happened?" I grabbed her wrist to make her stop messing with my hair. Her face softened once I asked her that, and she looked into my eyes. "Kehlani is in the hospital." She softly said. I felt my heartbeat quicken as my jaw almost fell.

"Why? What happened to her? Is she okay?"

"She's fine, sweetheart, everything's okay. She had a panic attack, and the doctor said she just needs a lot of rest and new medication."

I nodded my head as I let out a deep breath. A part of me felt like this was my fault. I've been ignoring her just because I been in my feelings over her. I know we can't be what we want to be, but everyone was right. I still needed to check up on her and we still could've just been friends. I'm such a fucking asshole. That's my problem: I'm too damn stubborn.

"Well, you can go see her. Richard and I are going upstairs to rest." She gave me a kiss on my cheek before going upstairs with Richard behind her. I jogged upstairs to grab my sweater and my mom's car keys and I jogged back downstairs before leaving.

-

"Excuse me, ma'am." I said to the receptionist. She looked at me and smiled. "Yes, how may I help you?"

"I'm looking for my step-sister."

"Name?"

"Kehlani."

She typed into the computer. "She is in Room 424."

I thanked her before walking off to find Kehlani's room. I looked at each room number until I found hers; I quickly walked inside, where I found her sleeping in the hospital bed. She had oxygen tubes in her nose and something with wires connected to a machine on her index finger. I watched as her chest rose and fell slowly, while she had a frown on her face as she slept. I shook my head and quietly chuckled as I pulled up a chair beside her bed and sat down.

I hated hospitals so much. They were depressing as fuck, and so quiet. The only things you could hear were heart monitors, nurses talking, family members crying. Every time a new life begins, a life ends at the same time. That's the most fucked up part about hospitals: it's a place where life can begin or end. Just the thought of someone I really care about being in the hospital for serious reasons, or if they're dying, and just the fact that I couldn't do anything to prevent it really fucks my head up.