CHAPTER 3

I grab one of the CD's off the shelf, a remix track. 'Best of 2004' was written on the case in faded black marker. I put it on the radio and sat on the couch. The disk started to play, but I was barely listening, only using it as background music. I turned on the TV and watched Red Racer because it was the first thing on. 

I eventually got hungry and headed downstairs to grab something to eat.

"Hey Tweek, do you need something?" Karen asked me looking up from her newspaper.

"I'm just looking for something to eat," I say, reaching the bottom of the steps.

She nodded, "Help yourself, just don't touch the chocolate on the top shelf, okay?"

I nodded and headed into the kitchen. I looked around and simply grabbed an apple from a bowl by the fridge, taking a large bite from it. It tasted weird, so I threw it away.

I was about halfway up the stairs when there was a loud knock on the door. I stood there and turned around to see who was there. I crouched down, making it harder for them to see me when they walk in, as Karen went and opened the door.

"Craig! Laura! Come on in," she said, moving to the side.

A tall blonde lady walked in wearing a green dress with white polka dots. She looked really pretty, in my opinion. Her hair was perfectly straight but gently swayed along with her as she moved and her piercing aqua green eye stood out compared to her pale skin. 

Her smile was kind but strict and she had an annoyed vibe from her but it was also very kind. I'm assuming she was annoyed by the boy who followed in behind.  No doubt about it, he was the boy from earlier. He didn't look much like his mother. His eyes were bluer than hers, like sapphires and he had the same blue chullo hat as the boy on the ground and he had a scowl on his face that scared me. His vibe was different than his look. His look made him look annoyed and threatening, but his vibe was scared and lonely.

"I don't understand why I need a babysitter! I'm 15 and a half!" he whinnied.

"Craig, just be good," the lady, I'm assuming Laura, said putting her hand on his shoulder.

He shook it off and sat on the couch.

"Oh, before you go, I want you to meet someone," Karen said, walking towards the stairs. I ran up them quickly, not wanting her to know I was spying on them.

"Tweek! Can you come down for a minute? I want you to meet some people!" she half shouted.

I sighed, "Yeah! B-be right t-there Karen!" I said, fixing my hair a bit. If I have to meet them I might as well try and make a good first impression.

I quickly run down the stairs. "Laura, this is Tweek." I looked at her and straightened my posture as she scanned me. At first, her expression was blank and I became stiff and nervous.

"He is adorable!" she exclaimed, smiling widely. A wave of relief and embarrassment washed over me.

"He's, what, 15 or 16?" she asked Karen. I swear she is acting as if I'm their new puppy or something.

"15" I sighed, crossing my arms.

"So I don't only have to stay here, but I have to deal with another kid?" Craig asked, getting up from the couch.

I rolled my eyes, "You won't h-have to deal with me," I said annoyed. He turned to look at me. He was a couple of inches taller than me, meaning he had to look down. He seemed to have been scanning me as I crossed my arms.

"So... he is the foster?" he asked pointing to me.

Karen nodded. I already know this is going to be a long year. 'If you stay that long' I thought.