XXIV

Tanya's View

My leg shook as I sat in the passenger seat of Ty's car. We were on our way to my mom's apartment and I was extremely nervous. In all honesty, I was more nervous about Tariq.

Tariq never met our mom. When he was born, she immediately relinquished her rights to him so Ty, my dad, and I had to raise him.

I looked back at him and he shot my smile. Anybody else would believe it's genuine but I know my brother-he's scared. We, finally, arrived and Ty found a parking space. We all hesitantly exited the car and the guys followed me as I led the way to the apartment.

I knocked on the door and, after 5 minutes, it was unlocked. I opened it and walked in, slowly. It was dark and quiet and my mom was sitting on the couch, staring into space.

"Mom." I said.

She stayed silent

I walked over to the windows and opened the blinds. Once the light entered, I noticed how messy the place was. I walked in the kitchen and grabbed a trash bag, beginning to clean up. While I cleaned, the boys just stood there.

"Mami, ¿tienes hambre?" I asked.

(Mommy, are you hungry?)

She shook her head 'no' and I sighed. Putting the bag to the side and took a seat next to her. Ty cleared his throat and sighed.

"Ma." He said.

She looked up and you could just see her eyes light up. She looked over to Tariq and she began crying. Standing up, she walked over to Ty and put her hands on either side of his face.

Letting go, she walked to Tariq and engulfed him in a tight hug. He was hesitant at first but, eventually, hugged her back.

"Mis bebés." She cried.
(My babies.)

"How've you been, ma?" Ty asked.

"Holding up." She said in her thick accent. "I'm just glad you are all here."

Tyrell had a smile that I haven't seen in awhile. Riq, however, seemed like he had mixed emotions.

"Uh, mom?" Riq said.

"¿Sí?" She answered.

"Where've you been?"

"She was a drug addict, Riq." Ty said.

"You knew?" I asked.

"Dad told me, when I was old enough to understand."

"How is your father?" She asked.

"Dead." The three of us said in unison.

"Oh." She mumbled. "I'm sorry."

"It's cool." I said. "But, um, we're having a little dinner tonight at my boyfriend's house and I'd love for you to come."

"Yeah and my new girlfriend's coming." Ty said.

"I don't have a girlfriend but I still want you to come." Tariq added.