Don't Mess With Her

"And then this is where your third period will be..." The guy who was giving me a tour of my new school pointed towards the door ahead and to the left of us, but his voice faded into an indistinguishable hum when my eyes fell on hers, or rather into them.

She was sat at one of the circular tables in the wider hall which connected the one I was in to the one parallel, and looking right at me. She wore orange-tinted sunglasses despite the fact that we were indoors and it was raining outside as usual, an orange-tan leather jacket, and a light brown wide-brimmed fedora. Raven hair spilled from her hat like a cascade of murky waters and flowed over one shoulder and down her back. She also had on a loose black tank top with had a neckline I was sure didn't comply with the school's dress code, form-fitting ripped black jeans, and worn black combat boots.

Her expression was blank besides a microscopic smirk sitting on her pink lips, and she slowly tilted her head to the side to reveal her puzzlement. Her posture was a little too upright as was usual for a high school student, and as she gently tapped her pencil on the table it sounded like it reverberated around the entire building before it reached my ears, but everything about her drew me in. In fact, my legs were about to lead me over to her when that stupid guy stepped in front of me.

"Sorry." I mumbled, shaking my head as I was snapped out of some sort of trance.

"You kinda spaced out there for a second." He - what was his name? Ryan? Maybe? Or... no, Ryan... I think - Ryan said with a small chuckle. I looked up at him and smiled awkwardly.

"Yeah, I do that sometimes." I said, and he pointed to the classroom door again.

"That's your third period, World History." He said, and starting walking through the connecting hallway, past that mysterious girl. As I passed her my eyes found hers again. One of her perfectly-shaped eyebrows arched upwards as she watched me walk by, moving her eyes and keeping her head still for as long as she could before her head slowly followed me too. She was tapping the pencil again, and blinked slowly, and them my line of sight consisted of the wall.

"Who was she?" I asked, hurrying a little to keep up with 'Ryan'.

"Who was who?" He questioned, looking down at me like I was crazy. For a moment I thought about clarifying, but then the memory of the girl became a little fuzzy and I decided to drop it.

---

For the rest of the morning, a feeling of dread was weighing me down. I felt like I had forgotten something important, and I felt like I didn't remember until I saw her again. I didn't remember I had ever seen her until I saw her again.

I was heading to World History when I passed the little 'hang-out' area which was home to a few sets of tall tables and chairs, a TV which showed various announcements, and some water fountains.

My eyes flicked over to the corner to see her still sitting there as though she hadn't moved for the past hour and three quarters. She was already looking at me when I looked at her, and her head tilted a little again, though this time down instead of sideways, and the smirk grew. Whatever she was doing was working damn well because I found myself wanting to walk right over there again. This time though it wasn't a person who interrupted me but the bell.

As it rang the girl swiftly span to the side and slipped off of the stool she had been sitting on, landing on the floor with a slight thud and picking up a satchel, which was a deep, but faded, blue with a bloom of deep red roses embroidered into one of the flap's corners, in one smooth movement.

I managed to slip into the classroom right before the tardy bell rang and made my way towards the teacher who sat in his desk near the front of the class.