Hungry

"I thought you said only I could stop your hunger." I stated, oddly calm yet again as I watched her fiddle with a blood bag across the cellar while I woke up, the dim lighting casting long, dark shadows over her face.

"It's better than nothing." She mumbled as she fiddled with the plastic end before groaning and looking up at me, "Open it?" She asked and slid it across the floor to me. Usually the sight of blood would make me feel queasy but for some reason it wasn't. That's when I remembered something else she'd told me.

"What did you mean before when you said you've been playing mind games on me?" I questioned as I shuffled over to the bag and took it from the floor, trying to figure out how to open it.

"I... Not all of us have a gift but I do and mine is a sort of noetic control." She explained and then added, "You just need to twist the top and snap the seal."

I did that and was about to head over to hand it to her but in a blink she'd taken it and was sat across the cellar again.

"Back up, what does any of that mean?"

"We... There are different types of vampires: Nobles or 'pure vampires', normal vampires, and mixed vampires. A Noble is someone who was born a vampire from vampire parents, their parents can be any type. Normal are those who are turned and mixes are those born from a turned and a noble. Nobles, or those with dominant nobility, almost always have some sort of gift. Gifts are like powers, I guess." She explained, taking a deep draw from the bag afterwards as she waited for my reaction. I nodded slowly to tell her that I was following.

"So you are a vampire... and you're a noble? Or... you have 'dominant nobility'?" I questioned and she shook her head, a dribble of the blood falling from her chin as she did so.

"No. I'm... really rare. I've never met nor has anyone ever heard of someone like me before. I was turned and for some reason I got a gift, even though the one who turned me wasn't a noble either. He must've had the gene, but recessive or else I would've sensed it after her turned me."

"Okay, I think that makes sense. But what was that word you used... no- note-"

"Noetic?" She aided me and I nodded, "Basically I can alter a human's mind, their thoughts and emotions."

"Is that why I'm not scared right now?"

"Yes."

"Can you... turn it off?"

She stopped to down the rest of the bag and I saw her eyes turn even darker than they were before.

"Yes."

"Then why are you still making me feel different?"

"I can't just turn it off with you. That's why I'm curious."

"So why am I so relaxed? Out of everything you could make me feel. Wouldn't it be... I don't know, more fun for you if I was scared or something?"

"You have a lot of questions, don't you?" She replied and then threw the empty blood bag to the side of the cellar where the door was, "And why would you think it'd be more fun?"

"I don't know, that's what al lithe TV shows seem to make it be. Like, toying with your prey or whatever."

"You're relaxed because that'd make it easier for me to attack you. You're not scared because it's part of the trap. You're curious too but not about why you, about me. You feel a strange need to be closer to me and to figure me out because trust will only make killing easier for me, if I lacked any sort of humanity." Then she grimaced, "Maybe 'humanity' may not be the best word choice, but I'm sure you understand what I mean."

I nodded again as I took everything in.

A silence fell over us where I was just taking her in and she began to fiddle with her finger nails. I noticed that her eyes had finally gone back to normal, if not a little dark, and she seemed to be fine. I put it down to the 'snack' she'd just had. Or was it more like a meal? I didn't know how long it's full her up for.

I made a move to stand up and have a better look around as well as stretch my legs which were going a little numb but my hand came down on something sharp, causing me to wince in pain and pull it up to inspect it.

Oh no.

"That can't be good." I mumble and she snaps her head up to me, eyes wide and changed yet again and I'm not surprised.

I'm in a locked room with a vampire who can control me and is also addicted to human blood and craves mine and oh look, now I've gone and cut my hand on something or other.

"Ally...!" She called out, moving her head to face the door but keeping her eyes trapped on me. A now-familiar feeling of paralysis took over and I began to panic.

"Ally! ALLY!" She progressively got louder as she slowly got to her feet. I tried to move away but I couldn't so I sat there against the wall, clutching my bleeding hand and breathing heavily as I silently and helplessly panicked.

"Lauren?" A voice came from the the other side of the door and Lauren took a step towards me.

"ALLY, OPEN THE DOOR, NOW!"

Ally sighed, "Lauren, you know I can't do that."

"IM SERIOUS ALLY IM ABOUT TO DO SOMETHING I REALLY-" She stopped both in her speech and slow steps towards me, and I assumed the next words would be 'don't want to do' but she snapped her head to the side and something else seemed to take over her.

"-really want to do." She snarled and my chest only started heaving faster as she continued walking towards me just as slow, but less like she was trying not to and more like she was enjoying herself, like a cat stalking their pray.

"Lauren?" Ally asked again and knocked on the door a few times, "Lauren?"

I heard the slot on the door open, a quick hiss of some profanity, and then a loud clicking noise followed by a crash and soon Ally was standing in front of Lauren, the door hanging open and swinging on its hinges.

"Lauren, stop this!" Ally shouted and tried to stop Lauren in her tracks but only got pushed out of the way.

Suddenly the other girls burst into the room too and looked from me to Lauren to Ally and then back to me.

"Lauren!" Ally tried again and suddenly Dinah burst into action running and grabbing Lauren roughly by the arms, managing to slow her down but she was still staggering towards me.

"Y/n," Normani said, crouching beside me, "Y/n can you hear me?"

I blinked hard, my eyes bent the only thing I could control, and hoped she'd understand.

"She's got her under paralysis." The dark girl informed the others as Dinah struggled with the black-haired girl and Ally tried again to talk her out of it.

"And she's bleeding." Normani noticed and reached down to wipe some of the blood that had dripped down my wrist, rubbing it onto her clothes.

"Get her out of here." Dinah instructed and Normani nodded, managing to scoop me up while I remained rigid in her arms, my eyes locked on Lauren's the whole while.

And all the time I was carried from the room, I hated the way Dinah was grabbing at her so roughly it must've been hurting her, despite that I knew if she hadn't been I'd likely be dead.