Listen

"Lauren! Wait!" I called out, jogging to keep up with her. She only sped up.

"Please!" I attempted, and she slowed to a stop, turning slowly to face me again. She had a wild look dancing in her eyes, now surrounded by the purple-black bruising, and her lips looked plumper and redder than ever with the tips of her elongated fangs protruding slightly from her mouth. The sight made me momentarily stop in my tracks, but I was quick to catch up.

"Lauren, you shouldn't say those things about yourself-" I tried but she just whipped her head back in wild laughter, which abruptly stopped as she snapped her piercing eyes back onto mine.

"DON'T YOU GET IT, Y/N? YOU... you have to stay AWAY FROM ME!" Lauren suddenly yelled, her tone softening in the middle of her arguement as she ran a hand through her hair. A single tear fought it's way down her cheek as she looked away from me and out towards the path we'd just walked down.

"I know, but I can't... because I'm pretty sure I... I might love you Lauren." I blurted, and her eyes snapped onto mine.

"I made you say that." She shook her head after a moment of worrying silence, her hand in her hair tightening as she backed away from me a few steps.

"No, no you didn't, Laur-"

"I made you say that! You don't love me. Nobody-"

"No. Stop right there." I said, taking a step towards her. She blinked slowly and trained her eyes on my neck again.

"I made you say that." She muttered with her lashes fluttering weakly, and I shook my head, stepping towards her again.

"You did," I said softly and she looked back up into my eyes, "But not in the way you're thinking."

Her face was painted with weakness and worry, but it was soon replaced with something else and before I knew it I felt a breeze curl around me and she was gone, only to return a second later and to hesitate before dropping a length of rope from her hands. She looked down and kicked it away like it was some sort of disgusting thing, before our gazes connecting once more. I could all but hear her arguing with herself in her mind.

Part of her wanted so badly to just end my life, I could tell, but I focused on the part that didn't. I focused on the part that liked to sing and dance and to paint and to walk in the woods. I focused on the part that shared things with me that even the girls didn't know. I focused on the part that laughed and cried and was still mostly human. I focused on Lauren.

"Listen to me." I gently instructed as she glared at that length of rope for which I could only imagine the purpose, though the faded, deep red stain on one end seemed to be giving me a clue.

"No." She shook her head quickly, so quickly it looked as if she was just vibrating.

"Listen to me, Laur." I attempted, stepping towards her. She didn't respond this time.

"I made you say that because if you love me, then you trust me and if you trust me, I-" her nose scrunched as the emotion drained from her face. It was terrifying, "I don't have to work so hard to drink every. last. drop. of blood from your veins."

She punctuated the words in the middle of her sentence with two fingers that stepped up my arm to reach my pulse point again, making me shiver.

"Pathetic." She scoffed, and then looked to the left as she whispered, "No, she's not."

Even the voices sounded different, the first much raspier than the second.

Damn, this was creepy as hell.

Still, I didn't back away.

"A pathetic little human that I so want to keep safe." The darker voice mumbled and then she widened her eyes, me doing the same.

"Lauren..." seems to be the only word I know.

"I don't want to hurt you." Her eyes darted around as she spoke and I bit my tongue to allow her to finish, "I don't want to hurt you, I just need to taste you... but that would hurt you."

Seeing as I could only speak her name at this point, I brought a hand to rest on the side of her face in hopes it'd have the same reassuring effect as my words may have.

At the new placement of my hand, however, she gripped it tightly and moved so that her mouth was hovering over my exposed wrist.

Something must seriously be wrong with me because the feeling of her hot breath billowing against my skin sent shivers down my spine, goosebumps across my skin, and a single, strong throb to my core. My own breath hitched as she lowered her lips by mere millimetres, eyes flickering from my wrist to my own for just a heartbeat.

"I think Ally was right..." she said calmly before laying a soft kiss on my sensitive skin, causing another pull at my stomach.

"What... do you-ou m-mean?" I managed to stutter between more gentle kisses that she placed all up my arm until my clothes did not permit any more.

Then she looked into my eyes with hers a strange mix of their normal green hue but with the plum-discolouration that surrounded them. It seemed to portray the two personalities (almost) that she had inside of her.

A flash of gold appeared before she dived down to place another soft, yet lingering kiss right on my throat. I barely managed to fight the moan that threatened to escape.

"I think we've formed a bond unlike any I've ever experienced in all my thousand years of existence... I was just too dumb to realise it."