High

Lauren POV

I wasn't sure when I had stepped outside or for how long I had been walking at my inhuman pace, but I knew I'd done it because I needed to clear my head. Still, it must have been longer than I thought because soon it was dark and I was on the other side of town, and I heard loud thumping coming from ahead. I slowed down and saw a house with lights of a blue hue shining against it, several teenagers outside either drinking or making out; a house party. With a touch of hesitation I continued walking towards it. A party full of my fellow high schoolers was risky, especially with my current mental state threatening to make me snap at any given moment, but I could not deny how they affected me. The humans went there likely to get drunk or high and let loose, but they themselves did that for me. A room packed full of heightened heart rates and people oozing their natural scent was enough to send me so close to the edge, but I would always manage to get myself under control and just stay there, right at the tipping point, right at the place where one false move could break me. I loved it there. The pure animalistic rawness of the entire feeling was addicting. Maybe that's what made me enter that house that night, maybe something else, something greater, was at play.

Whatever it was, I soon found myself in the dead center of the busiest room, bodies bumping into me left right and center and the stench of them mixed with the alcohol they were consuming filling my nostrils and thoughts. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, lips curling into a smirk as I let it take over me to an extent; but then a scent both familiar and not invaded my senses and I felt myself slipping.

Y/N POV

Her eyes snapped onto mine and I don't think I've ever seen someone so high. She stood still in the middle of the crowded room, people shoving into her here and there yet somehow she stayed rigid, and she didn't look away from me for a second though her eyes were incredibly distant. I think I just found out why Jade and her friends keep telling me to stay away from her. But she was so composed in school? She didn't seem like the type of person to do drugs or anything...

Before I had time to fully question that I was interrupted by Jade herself.

"Hey, I wasn't sure if you were coming." She said as she stood in between me and Lauren, blocking my view of her.

"I came." I replied, straining me neck and trying to see if the brunette was still there. She wasn't though. In fact, she wasn't anywhere anymore. She'd vanished so quickly I wasn't sure if she had been standing there at all.

Lauren's POV

"Shit. That was way too close, Jauregui." I hissed as I stepped outside once more, the loud music being muffled by the closing door behind me. She- her- she just- ugh! I was having cravings that I thought I'd already defeated, but they were so much stronger than ever. I felt like I did when I was first cursed to this living hell- or, not 'living' hell. Maybe it was just boosted by the party, but if that stupid mutt hadn't have stepped between us I might have lost all control. Fuck.

I pulled out my phone and called Dinah to come and get me because I knew if I chose to walk I'd end up turning around and coming right back here and I wouldn't walk out until she was... well, until I'd literally drank her dry, sucked all of the life out of her, killed her. It shouldn't be a problem, I should be able to control myself, I would have been able to if she wasn't at the fucking party.

"What's up, bitch?" Dinah asked in way of a greeting, and I relaxed a little knowing that she had forgiven me for insulting her and storming out earlier, otherwise her tone would have been harsh and she would likely have just snapped something along the lines of 'what do you want' instead.

"Come get me? I'm on the other side of town, near the lake? Umm..." I looked around before running to the end of the street to check the sign, "Rosewood Drive."

"What the fuck, Lauren? That's wolf territory." I hear Ally in the background. Guess I was on speaker mode.

"Just come fucking get me before I make things worse."

Y/N POV

The party wasn't even that good; it was mostly just me trying not to get drunk or drugged and having to convince the guys from earlier to leave me alone and that I didn't want to dance with any of them. Still, right there beside me was Camila. She apparently didn't want to come either, and after a chat I found out she felt similar to me. She didn't want to be Jade's friend, but she'd fallen into the group and didn't want to face the consequences of leaving (which was the girls spreading rumors about how you betrayed them and they didn't have a choice but to stop hanging out with them, therefore leading to you not having any friends). Damn that history teacher for putting me next to Jade.

"So, wanna get out of here?" She asked, and I nodded furiously.

"Me too." She giggles, and begins to lead me out of the house towards where she parked her car. It was a little yellow beetle. Cute. And every time I saw it, it seemed to get smaller. She drove me home with the quiet sound of acoustic music filling the air, leaving us in a comfortable silence.

As we turned, I saw Lauren standing on the street corner, watching the car go by with a menacing demeanor as she talked into her phone with a snarl.

"What the hell is she on?" I asked, mostly to myself. Camila looked in the rear view mirror with... was that sorrow? guilt? - in her eyes. Her lashes fluttered and she took a deep breath and continued driving.

"She's just Lauren." I thought I heard her whisper, but when I looked over she seemed like she hadn't and so I brushed it off.