Truth

The truth is a dangerous weapon that, when manipulated and bent to someone's will, can hurt. Lies, or fantasies, when mixed so well that it is indistinguishable from the truth, is deadly.

Lauren told me what happened, and I slowly remembered the dream, or rather nightmare, and the terrifying events that followed.

The whole time they were trying to help me, I'd thought that they were just toying with me, waiting to string me up somewhere and kill me. Of course, I never thought they'd actually do that. It was whatever drugs I was affected by that'd made me feel so terrified of them.

It took a little (a lot of) reassurance to have Lauren forgive herself, and it pained me to see that she thought she'd done this, that she was to blame, because just as she'd been driven mad by her addiction, my own mind had been altered. It was neither of our faults.

"I know. I know that, I do." She nodded and I continued to rub up and down her arm as she leaned into my side, willing myself not to start shivering. She was like cuddling up to a block of ice, the coolness of the grim weather today making her temperature drop even more.

"That's cute an' all," Dinah commented as she came inside and stood opposite us, "but you're freezing the girl to death and we've got some rabbits to deal with, care to join?"

Lauren quickly peeled herself from me and looked up into my eyes with her own filled with worry.

"You're cold?" She questioned and I shrugged, though I was grateful for the air which now felt warm as it curled in and took her place.

"A little." I grinned in hopes that she would too but she looked down at her hands and chewed on her lip.

"You should've said something." She muttered but before I had a chance to reply, Dinah was clearing her throat and putting a hand on her waist.

"Lauren. Rabbits. Now."

The black-haired beauty beside me looked up at her with a mischievous glint in her eyes that I'd grown to recognise as I'd hung out with the girls more and more. I leaned back in my seat ready to enjoy the show.

"I specifically remember you saying 'care to join', and the answer is no, I do not care to join you, but thanks," Lauren remarked with a slow blink of her eyes.

"It was less of a request and more of a 'get your ass off of your girlfriend and come help me with dinner' sort of thing." Dinah quipped just as fast and my cheeks flushed even though they shouldn't be. She was just joking, I knew because she'd said a similar thing to Normani who'd been rambling a little about how hot some vampire actor was that she saw 'back in the day'. Of course, that was from before cameras were a pretty vital part of acting and everything was live on stage.

By the way Lauren looked back at me, down at her hands, and then quickly got off the sofa, I had a feeling that if it were possible, she'd be blushing too.

"Whatever." She grumbled as she pushed past Dinah and sped into the kitchen. So much for a show. Usually, the two could be at each other for at least half an hour, and it could get really funny.

"Wow, Dinah Jane Hansen has obviously been practicing," I commented and she rolled her eyes before following Lauren who had already retrieved the bag of things they'd need, taken the poor rabbits from Ally who had been standing patiently in the doorway and headed down into the cellar.

"They're just playing around." Ally said when she looked over at me. I guessed my cheeks were still red, then.

"I know." I nodded with a smile and shrugged it off.

...

"Hey." My dad greeted me as I got home, "Have a good time with your friends?"

I nodded and gave him a hug. Then I moved into the living to find my mom and did the same to her.

"Hey, sweetie." She grinned and I did too.

"Hi, Mom." I dropped down on the sofa beside her and tucked my feet up, taking my phone from my pocket when I felt it vibrate.

"When do we get to meet these 'friends' of yours?" Mom questioned and I glanced up at her. Would they ever? Would the girls be willing to meet my parents? Probably...

"Soon, depends on them really." I shrugged. She narrowed her eyes a little but turned back to the TV whilst I looked back down at my phone.

"I'm not sure I'm happy with you spending this much time with people I don't know, Y/n." Mom commented and I just rolled my eyes. It wasn't even a big deal... well, for her anyway. There was no way that she'd find out that I wasn't not just spending time with people she thought were strangers, but with werewolves and vampires.

Camila: Hey, you ok?

Read the text, and I remembered that the girls had decided not to let the wolves know what had happened until they figured out why they'd done it.

So, I reply...

Me: yeah why wouldn't I be?

Camila: no reason just wanted to make sure 🙃

"No reason my ass," I mumbled, warning a sideways look from my mom.

"Language." She scolded and I held back a laugh because that was so like Ally.

A few seconds later, there was a knock at the door.

"I'll get it." I offered when nobody made a move, and I'm glad I did because as soon as I opened the door, I was pounced on by none other than Camila herself. She closed the door behind me and held me up against it, her hands on my cheeks as she looked from my eyes to my neck and then down the rest of my body.

"Are you okay?" She asked again when she finally looked up.

I nodded rapidly but gulped, one of my giveaways when I was lying, but I hoped she didn't know that.

"I'm fine, or I was before you attacked me." I tried to joke but she narrowed her eyes slightly and glanced over my shoulder, quickly letting go of me and stepping back right before the door opened again and I stumbled backwards, almost falling.

"Who's this?" I heard my mom ask behind me.