Advisor

The girls and I were working on a plan to combat that of the werewolves when we heard steady thudding coming from outside, like drums or a large group of people stepping in sync. I looked up and at the others as they wore wide-eyes expressions.

"What is that?" I questioned, hearing a distant horn-like sound joining the drumming.

"No." Lauren breathed beside me, and I turned all of my attention to her frozen figure while the others slowly stood.

"Lo, what is it? What's going on?" I asked, but before she could answer, howls joined the previous sounds.

"Shit." I simply muttered as I realised what was happening. The wolves were attacking too early. At least, that's what I assumed.

A soft knock at the door had me leaping to my feet and almost out of my skin, and I looked around at the other girls before dashing over there. I opened and closed the door faster than someone can blink, having enough time to see a flustered-looking and out of breath Camila on the other side.

"It's Camila!" I whisper-yelled to the others, slowly opening the door again when I was given a round of frowns in response.

"Y/n! I don't have much time." Camila exclaimed, her eyes momentarily falling to my neck, where my bite mark still hadn't healed fully before she sighed almost to herself.

"Well, say what you have to say!" I rushed her, and she widened her eyes as if in realisation.

"Right! Can... can I come in?" She asked. I glanced at the others, knowing that a wolf in the house might not be the best idea and, from past experiences, that she might not have been all that trustworthy. They were all frozen, though, so I let her in anyway.

"What is it?" I frowned, closing the door behind her.

"I want to help you guys. I still care about you." She glanced over at the rest of the girls, particularly Lauren which made me narrow my eyes at her, "The pack is attacking because-"

"Because you want us to leave so you can get the land. We know." I interrupted, and she pulled her head back for a moment before nodding.

"But it's more than that."
She explains, "Didn't you ever wonder why we'd risk a war for this land? It's not just a territory thing. It's less than an acre, literally nothing. The problem is that this house sits on an ancestral burial ground. I might be able to convince the Alpha to let you guys move on on your own, stay in town even-"

"Why would he listen to you?" I interrupted again, and she lowered her gaze to the floor, "You said before that you didn't have much choice in what the Alpha did, so why would you be able to convince him of something?"

"I'm... I'm a beta, basically third in command, second since his Luna died. I'm his advisor." She explained, and my eyebrows shot so high up they might have hit the ceiling.

"Advisor?" I snapped, "So he was listening to you this whole time? Everything that's happened, you've had a say in? A much larger day than you acted like."

She lowered her head once more and closed her eyes.

"Yes." She answered, "But I tried to help you all. I did, honestly."

I scoffed and turned away so as not to get too angry and lash out at her physically.

"I thought you were my friend." I muttered, "And now I learn that you lied to me, had a huge say in what ended up killing me, and now you want me to believe you when you say you want to help us?"

"Please." She begged, "Wouldn't you rather stay here, with your family, a little longer? If the pack gets a hold of you, you'll actually die. You won't get this second chance."

I turned back around, ready to get really angry when I'm stopped by Lauren appearing by my side.

"Baby, let it speak." She said, and I picked up on the 'it'. Apparently, Camila did too because she blushed and turned away. Well, it could be that or the kiss Lauren is planting on my jaw.

"Fine," I grumbled.

"The Alpha will listen." Camila promised, "He'll let you stay in town if we can take back what is rightfully ours."

"How do you know for sure?" Normani asked out of nowhere, gaining everyone's attention.

"I... I don't." Camila admitted, "But it's got to be worth a shot."

☕️

This was such a long time coming, I'm so sorry!