2

My parents beat up black Ford pulls up in the driveway, scrunching the gravel beneath its tires. My mother laughs at something my brother says, but I wasn't paying attention. The car comes to a halt, and I step outside before dads even pulled up the handbrake.

My home is still my home. Nothing has changed, at least on the outside.

It's a small one-storey house, rendered white on the outside, and flower pots hanging around the front door. There's a little path from the door to the mailbox, but I walk over the grass.

"Are you seriously just gonna let us carry your shit?" Liam grumbles.

"Yep," I nod, not bothering to look back at him.

I walk up the tiled steps to the front door, and let my father unlock the door.

It's fucking boiling outside, and I'm desperate to collapse beneath the air conditioner.

I walk over the wooden floors, heading straight for the kitchen. Our house is set up very simplistically. At the front, there's three bedrooms and the bathroom, and at the end of the hallway, is our living space.

I open the door to my room, and I'm relieved to know everything is still the same. In the centre of my room, stands my bed, with its light blue blanket looking perfectly fluffed. There some music posters on my wall, and multiple filled up bookcases lining beneath them.

"You happy to be back?" Liam asked, dumping my bag on my bed.

I nod. "I'm excited to be a normal kid."

"You are?" he scoffs. "It's not that great."

"I'm sure you had a lot more fun than I did up there."

"At least you had the chance to experience it, you know?" he says. "If you had stuck with it, you could've done amazing things."

"Yeah, yeah," I shake my head. "Save me the speech."

I've heard it a thousand times before.

I was scouted by an extremely pretentious and overpriced private school up in New York straight out of elementary school. I was a state champion speller, and known for my record-breaking speed reading. That's right, I was a fucking literature nerd. And, I still am. There's nothing I enjoy more than a nice relaxing day of readings. Besides, of course, Netflix and eating.

So relatable, right?

I soared my first year at the school, but the more I matured, the more I lost interest in competing against my friends, over and over again. I didn't want to read the dictionary and read for the purpose of speed, anymore. I wanted to read books, to enjoy them. I stopped competing after my second year there, but the school still believed in me. I kept my scholarship, but then my grades started slipping.

I hadn't just lost interest in competing, I had lost interest in school as a whole.

It all just seemed so pointless.

Maybe I read too many books, but it just seems like there's so many more important things to do.

Including Netflix and eating.

I stopped enjoying school after this, and eventually, the school got tired of it.

Goodbye scholarship, and hello Miami public school.

That's exactly what I wanted.

"Mum and dad aren't mad, you know?" Liam says. "They're disappointed, but not angry."

"It's okay," I shrug. "I'm just so relieved to be back here."

"Well, it's good to have you back, sis."

I give him a sweet smile, before shifting my eyes to look around my room once more. Now that I'm back, I really should update the place. Take down the posters, make myself a little makeup nook. It's a bit childish now.

"Are you tired?" Liam asks.

"Nah, I'm buzzing," I grin.

"There's a party tonight at my buddy Kaleem's house. You're invited."

I scoff. "I don't know this dude."

"You will, though," Liam tells me. "They've been dying to meet you, and Mary's going crazy."

"Isn't it going to be awkward?"

"Nah, it'll be chill. Besides, if you stay here, mum and dad will lecture you."

"Alright, alright," I nod. "I'll go."

"Good, good. Now get changed or something, because the parties already started," he hurries out of my room, urging me to get ready.

I sit down on my bed, unzipping my suitcase. Isn't it weird how all your belongings can fit into one bag? Maybe I should go shopping tomorrow. I'm sure Mary would want to go with me, otherwise, I can get Liam to drive me.

Instead of hanging up my clothes in the wardrobe, I dump them all on my bed, and hunt for something suitable to wear tonight. We had to wear a uniform at my old school, and we barely had any parties or events, so my options are limited. Eventually, I decide on a pair of black, high waisted shorts, and a cropped Bon Iver band shirt. I know it'll still be hot tonight, so I don't bother wearing a jacket.

I didn't wear any makeup on my way here, so I quickly apply some to make me look a little more alive. I run a brush through my hair to untie some knots, and finalise my look with a muted red lipstick.

As if on cue, Liam knocks on the door, calling to me from the hallway. I step out, greeting him.

"Bye guys!" I yell out to my parents, knowing they'll hear me.

"You're not spending the night in with us?" dads head pops out of the kitchen.

"She's coming to Kal's," Liam explains.

"Ah," dad nods. "Alright, have fun kids!"

We walk out of the door, and Liam drives us to his friend's place.